Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

German Furnaces

Options
R. Smith
R. Smith Member Posts: 1
I am replacing my 25 year old furnace and was recommeded a quiet German furnace by a contractor. The contractor has left town and I don't know where he is at this point. I can't remember the name of the furnace he gave me but it sounded like what I am looking for. I am looking for a very good quiet running furnance for my home of about 3000 square feet. Much of the house is radiant heat with auxcillary hot water registers as supplimental. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks bob

Comments

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Viessmann?

> I am replacing my 25 year old furnace and was

> recommeded a quiet German furnace by a

> contractor. The contractor has left town and I

> don't know where he is at this point. I can't

> remember the name of the furnace he gave me but

> it sounded like what I am looking for. I am

> looking for a very good quiet running furnance

> for my home of about 3000 square feet. Much of

> the house is radiant heat with auxcillary hot

> water registers as supplimental. Any

> suggestions would be appreciated. thanks bob

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    There are two

popular ones in this country: Viessmann and Buderus. Both are excellent value.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Viessmann?

You'll find it here!

Viessmann spoken here!

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Joe_13
    Joe_13 Member Posts: 201
    Options
    Boilers

Not furnaces. The Germans would probably laugh at hot air systems as an inferior design! They probably refuse to make them and import from the US as a last resort.
  • Uni R
    Uni R Member Posts: 663
    Options
    Actually the guy is right...

furnace ['f??n?s] noun
    1 an enclosed chamber in which heat is produced to generate steam, destroy refuse, smelt or refine ores, etc.
    2 a very hot or stifling place
    [ETYMOLOGY: 13th Century: from Old French fornais, from Latin fornax oven, furnace; related to Latin formus warm]

Those Buderii (is that the plural of Buderus?) and Viessmann's actually ARE furnaces acording to the dictionaries. In addition, they are even further away from boiling water than the domestics with their 167° design temperature, so boiler is a real misnaomer with them.

Forced air furnaces should be forced to get a new name! L
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Options
    following your definiton

he isnt right. Buderus and Viessmann do not make steam equipment. And a properly installed hot water system wont etiher. ;-)

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Chuck

• Uni R
    Uni R Member Posts: 663
    Options
    Actually...

You can't say following "my definition". Multiple dictionaries list it... I just figured I'd put it up there as food for thought.

Not just steam... Many many things including water. That's where that etc. comes in Chuck. Although it is much easier to see that description fitting a cast iron boiler than any of the small wall hungs because they really doesn't have much of a chamber.

How was the turkey?
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    That's why...

I am trying to change my lexicon as it pertains to these high efficiency condensing appliances to hydrogen fuel based thermal CONVERTER instead of boiler. They're not supposed to boil, and if and when they do, you've got a problem on your hands.

Converter, converter, converter...

ME
  • Duncan_6
    Duncan_6 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Converter, you say?

> I am trying to change my lexicon as it pertains

> to these high efficiency condensing appliances to

> hydrogen fuel based thermal CONVERTER instead of

> boiler. They're not supposed to boil, and if and

> when they do, you've got a problem on your

> hands.

>

> Converter, converter,

> converter...

>

> ME

• Duncan_6
    Options
    Converter, you say?

LOL, that's a mouthful! Can't we just call 'em boilers simply for the sake of tradition?

Think about this. Do you call your vehicle a car, a truck, or an automobile? Or a vehicle? A horseless carriage? Which is the most accurate description? Which term is most commonly understood?

Car?

Truck?

What, precisely, kind of description do those words convey? Diddly. Still, those are the terms EVERYBODY uses, and everybody knows EXACTLY what they mean!

I'm stickin' with boiler, dude. If there's water in it that you don't drink or shower with, and there's flames under it, it's a boiler. Tell Tom you need a vacation. [G]

I do have to draw the line between boiler and furnace, though.
  • Duncan_6
    Options
    A rose.

All right, that's enough! Let's put an end to this now, before we hurt ourselves! Can't we just call 'em boilers for the sake of tradition?

Think about this... Do you call your vehicle a car, a truck, or an auto-mobile? Or a vehicle? A horseless carriage? Which is the most accurate description? Which term is most commonly understood?

Car?

Truck?

What, precisely, kind of description do those words convey? Car? Diddly. Truck? Diddly. Still, those are the terms EVERYBODY uses, and everybody knows EXACTLY what they mean!

I'm stickin' with boiler, dudes - even if it doesn't boil. If there's water in it that you don't drink or shower with, and there's burners in or under it, it's a boiler. OK???

Just funnin'. We're very respectful of the other fella's point of view here in Teller County, but I definitely do have to draw the line between boiler and furnace.
  • Duncan_6
    Options
    A rose.

Do you call your vehicle a car, a truck, or an auto-mobile? Or a vehicle? A horseless carriage? Which is the most accurate description? Which term is most commonly understood?

Car?

Truck?

What, precisely, kind of description do those words convey? Car? Diddly. Truck? Diddly. Still, those are the terms EVERYBODY uses, and everybody knows EXACTLY what they mean!

I'm stickin' with boiler, dudes - even if it doesn't boil. If there's water in it that you don't drink or shower with, and there's burners in or under it, it's a boiler. OK???

Just funnin'. We're very respectful of the other fella's point of view here in Teller County, but I definitely do have to draw the line between boiler and furnace.
  • Duncan_6
    Options
    A rose.

Do you call your vehicle a car, a truck, or an auto-mobile? Or a vehicle? A horseless carriage? Which is the most accurate description? Which term is most commonly understood?

Car?

Truck?

This discussion has been closed.