Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buried copper piping

Options
Greg_8
Greg_8 Member Posts: 1
I have a project where the Architect insists on burying copper piping in the slab. I have always opposed this due to concerns over the salts in the concrete corroding the piping. Wasn't this the case with the radiant floor system failures of the 50's?
What is the best approach, if any, to accomplish this?
Thanks
Greg

Comments

• Joe_13
    Joe_13 Member Posts: 201
    Options
    Designed failure

Why do these guys go to college to design systems to fail in 50 years? I would try to get some flexible plastic tubing to run the copper in.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    I agree with Joe,

Find some properly sized electrical conduit and run the pipe in there.I believe they refer to it as non-metalic, liquid tight electriacal tubing.(NMET)I suppose you could use a rubber pipe insulation that is not split, but I get to crumble this stuff off pipes daily after only 10 or so years. The rubber flexible stuff turns particularly brittle and breaks off in chunks. I prefer the styrofaom looking stuff. It's easier to install and looks better, not that anyone will see it under the floor.

Don't forget to add this into the price, as it ain't cheap! If the designer insists that you have to, let him know why you won't and stick to it. I saw my share of failed in floor copper radiant installs when I started a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure they were about the last to fail in this area.Built in the late 40's and retired by the early 80's wasn't the expected lifespan.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    talk him into

pex al pex!

There are some coated coil copper tubes available these days. Seen em in Fuel Oil News. Must be for underground fuel oil lines. Not sure what gauge copper it would be, however.
    Try a web search for coated copper tube.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    what are the....

lines to be used for? Domestic h2o or heat?
  • Envirotube

is what we use for underground oil line . Poly coating over 3/8 or 1/4 type L soft copper . We get it in 60 or 100 foot rolls . They also might make it in longer lengths and pipe diameters .
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Coated copper

HR

We've been using the coated lines for below grade propane lines between the primary and secondary regulators. Yellow PVC jacket over type L soft drawn copper. Ours comes via REM.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.