Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

transformer interference

Options
leo g_60
leo g_60 Member Posts: 1
can a tekmar 356 be mounted to close to a transformer? i'm wondering if the magnetic feild from the trans could effect the the 356's signal to the injection pump?????

leo g

Comments

• bigugh_4
    bigugh_4 Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Electrical interferance

Is always possible. Transformers should be encased in a metal can of some sort.
    I'd make sure of a transformer case being grounded very well. i.e. even to a nice big green wire to a suitable metalic water pipe or driven rod.
    Of course, do not forget the latest sun spots, If this is a come lately problem.
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    How about all............

the transformers in the taco(and others) relays? I have a job where there are two of these next to (12"away) a wirsbo duomix..they have had some unexplained problems.....kpc
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Grounding

I know that sometimes the only solution seems to be a ground wire to a separate grounding rod in the earth, but I believe such is against electrical code as all of the grounding in a given structure is supposed to have a path to the exact same point. Supposedly different grounding potentials can cause some really dangerous things to happen in unusual circumstance like a lightning strike.

If the only solution seems to be running a dedicated ground wire to a dedicated earth ground rod, I think this indicates leakage current to ground in the system. Such can be VERY difficult to find as it can be happening nearly anywhere. Some electronic devices seem hideously sensitive to even extremely tiny ground leaks...
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    Ground Rods

you may be better served carrying your ground wire back to the electric service where the resistence from the power companys ground connection is maybe 25 to 50 ohms then to a rod as some soils can be of a very high resistence 2000 to 3000 ohms per cubic foot and driving grounds is a waste of your time. The inspectors still seem to enjoy watching you waste it because their code book calls for a driven rod with out consideration for the soil you drive it in.
This discussion has been closed.