Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil piping

I have a 2000 gallon oil tank outside A bldg.This is a two pipe system serving the HB Smith boiler inside.The boiler is a one pipe oil system and the owner insists on the installation of an oil pump to recirculate the oil continuously.It seems the install of a recirc. day tank inside is what I need.The pump moves oil thru the tank while the burner pulls freely from the tank.ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!! ANY RESOUCES OR DRAWINGS WILL HELP!!!

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    day tank

take a look at sid harvey you get a lift tank and a day tank you can do a single pipe to the pump out let to the day tank and make sure you have a gravity line back to your out door tank for the day tank overflow install a good filter by your boiler and run the burnerr on a one pipe done a few always like better then a lift pump with pressure switches they kinda suck unless you add a couple of extras also with a day tank remember to add oil safety valve for your burner incase you lose a seal either way chk out sid harvey i think you can catch them on line good luck
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    pump manufacturer

I don't typically work on larger systems but you may be able to run a single pipe from the tank. The pipe sizing and whether or not you need 1 pipe, 2 pipes or a lift system or day tank would depend on the firing rate, the length of the run and the height of the burner above the oil level in the tank. Check with the pump manufacturer for the model of pump that is on the unit. It should be able to run with two pipes with the bypass plug installed.

In residential work, when a tank is outside, it is best to avoid recirculating back to the tank. The oil is heated as it goes through the boiler room and by friction in the pump. When it is returned to the cold tank, there can be condensation problems. Also, some environmental risk is avoided when the return line is eliminated.

Again, it will all depend on firing rate, how far and how high. There may also be a chart in the burner instructions. Hope this helps.

Tom M.
  • Steve Eayrs
    Steve Eayrs Member Posts: 424
    tigerloop?

If he can be talked into it, and if the system is not too big to use one, or if it doesn't have to lift too high, (burner is located more than 12' above the elevation of the fuel tank?)....then use a tigerloop.

These are small devises that eliminate air in the oil, when you do a single line fuel supply from the fuel tank, and you run a 2 pipe from the tigerloop to the burner. Works great! Have installed hundreds of these.

As others said, you don't want to pump warm oil back to your outside tank and create condensate, (equates to sludge in the bottom of the fuel tank).

Your fuel pump on the burner can be setup for either a one pipe or two pipe system, depending on the bypass plug install.

And if you need to add more to your arguement......by adding a second circ pump, more piping, and/or a day tank/pump, etc, you will greatly increase your chances of an oil cleanup. If you have ever worked around the white glove enviromental crews, or seen the bills they can create, you will talk him out of unneeded piping.

Steve
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    outside tank?

is this underground or above ground? how big a boiler and what grade oil is it using?#2, #4light, #4 or #6 What size oil line? Are they having problems with loosing prime? May be a problem with the existing oil line,Vacumn leaks or undersized. Do you want to dig up that tank and open that can of EPA worms?
  • Firedragon_3
    Firedragon_3 Member Posts: 13
    If you can get a copy

of Fuel Oil News for October I've started a multi-part article on the use of boost pumps, day tanks, etc.

If you can't get it, send me an e-mail and I'll get a copy to you.
  • Guy_5
    Guy_5 Member Posts: 159

Not that it helps with the problem, but I think that the owner is looking to keep oil moving constantly to keep the lines from gelling/freezing. A tiger loop would help if it is an air issue, but if that is the case they also have an oil leakage issue as well that they should address.
    If air is the issue, you should seriously consider what you may be getting into. Even if "the owner said..", yours would have been the last hands on the system. Please be careful.
  • Steve Eayrs
    Steve Eayrs Member Posts: 424

If jelling is the issue than use #1 oil, not #2. At least thats what everything up here runns on in the winters.

The tigerloop is not there to mask an oil line leak, but a real asset and helpful to purge air out of the system.

Steve
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    Added benefits of Tigerloop:

Eliminates return line (environmental risk, condensation when run back to a cold tank). Also, oil warms up in filter in boiler room and then is heated by pump friction as it is recirculated between the pump and tigerloop.

Tom M.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2013
    Application

like the oil pipeline, normally, it is used for apply to petrochemical boiler tubes, heat exchanger tubes and pressure pipe seamless steel pipe.
This discussion has been closed.