Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

figuring glycol volume?

Options
Jeff_21
Jeff_21 Member Posts: 1
How many gallons of fluid would I need to fill 4800 feet of 3/4 inch tubing for my heating system?

Comments

• Bill Russell_2
    Bill Russell_2 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Total

would be about 110 gallons.
  • marc
    marc Member Posts: 203
    Options
    1.89 gallons per hundred

feet of 3/4 pex. 48 x 1.89= 90.72 x 40 % glycol = 36.28 gallons. hope this helps.
  • Steve Eayrs
    Steve Eayrs Member Posts: 424
    Options

Anyone know if there are some good conversion charts for pipe volumes in this site somewhere.??? Would be a handy place for them, and give me another reason to spend time in here, as if I need one. This place makes a nice little diversion to a busy schedule.

If you have copper pipe w/ id of 3/4" then the 110 gal. figure is what you want.
    If you have 5.30 cubic inches per lf of 3/4" pipe x 4800 lf divided by 231 cubic inches per gal. you get 110 gal's.

Also the percentage of gylcol mix you need, all depends on the strength of the gylcol you have. 60%? 96%?

Steve
  • Robert O'Connor_3
    Robert O'Connor_3 Member Posts: 272
    Options
    Pipe Chart & PG Volume

Steve
    I have a chart for pipe size and volume that we publish for
    our FireFighter PG product. Give me a Fax number & I'll send one over.

The PG question would be better answered over the phone. These questions usually lead to other questions.
    800-678-6625 Ext 108

Drew
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Try

Siggys "Design Studio" software. You can input boiler capacity, pipe size and length, fittings, and loop diameter and length, etc. It will give you total capacity and glycol %. Then you can size the expansion tank!

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • George Peteya
    George Peteya Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Pipe/tube Volume

Jeff -
    I'm never without my Grundfos Plumbing/Heating Handbook. My copy is from 1991. It lists inside diameters for copper, brass, plastic, and steel from 1/2" to 4".
    Volume per foot in US gallons = (ID squared)x(pi/4)x 12/231. OK, so you knew that already.
    - George
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Excel Spread sheet.

I wrote an Excel spread sheet that handles tubing up to
    1-1/2" in diameter.

If you're interested in receiving it, you can send an e-mail to my company address which is mark.eatherton@advancedhydronics.com and I will be glad to send it to you.

Don't forget to include the e-mail address you want it sent to.

ME
This discussion has been closed.