Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Separating Baseray cast iron section?

You are correct with the block of wood taking care not to damage the fins. Be sure to have new push nipples in hand before reassembling the pieces though. Hope this helps.

Glenn Stanton

Burnham Hydronics

Comments

• Adam E
    Adam E Member Posts: 43

Hi all,

I've got a 32' run of cast iron baseboard (Baseray) which I'd like to remove a section of in order to erect a partition. I'd then turn the two parts into separate branches on my diverter tee system.

My question is, how do I go about doing this?

My worries are laying it down on it's face without cracking it. It's over 500lbs!!! Is there an easy method?

Once it's down on it's face and I unbolt the sections, can I stick a wooden block in there somewhere and tap it with a hammer (sledge?) to separate? I know there's a tool to pull the sections together, but not to take them apart.

I called Burnham and had them send me installation literature, but it didn't mention this stuff.

Thanks.
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    after separation

I think you're going to need an "end section" for each of the new branches. This will involve removing a section from each one and replacing it with a corresponding end section.

Mark
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,980
    If it's just...

A partition, there aren't going to be any "load bearing" walls involved, so why not just trim it out and leave this fine piece of heating intact?A 4" or6" section isn't all that hard to hide, and you'll keep its integrity intact.

I've moved some of this stuff and for some reason or another, it never seems to be either easy or foolproof.(plus you'll save yourself the trouble of matching end caps , and hoping that the sections you want to seperate are in such a place that they both have feet, which meams they can be used as end sections) If you do seperate them and they are in a center section, you'll have to go and buy some ends, and some shorter(1/2 sections) to make up the difference.Sounds like a no brainer to me. JMHO. Chris
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Adam

You will need a new right and left end section with a "foot" or rather the piece that touches the floor. Also your intermediate sections are not tapped for pipe thread. They will just have the beveled tappings to recieve the push nipples.

You might be able to find a supplier that will lend the draw up tool. My dad gave one to me 30 yrs ago but I know my supply house loans one to the plumbers.

Hopefully you have the 9" or "taller" baseray. It was more common to see longer runs of 7" baseray. The 9" you can still get along w/end caps, the 7" forget it.
  • tombig
    tombig Member Posts: 291
    CIBB

Erecting a partition around existing BB might seem hokey, but what you're thinking of doing...remove...separate...install end sections...reinstall with end sections and pipe between is a big job considering the radiator is 32' long. You might consider calling someone who has done this kind of thing before.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,980
    OOOOH

Forgot about the threaded ends. Bill(NTSG) spends far too much time thinking about this stuff. Thank him! Chris
  • bob_25
    bob_25 Member Posts: 97
    The easiest way

I have found to take it apart is to lay it flat on the floor, pick it up and stick a 3/4" nipple under it at the joint and let it down. It should fall apart. bob
  • Adam E
    Adam E Member Posts: 43
    Thanks all.

I thought about building the partition around it, but yeah, it seems a bit hokey. Besides, the one end doesn't like to get hot, so I thought that making it two branches with two separate monoflos would help.

It didn't dawn on me though that I'd need to replace the ends with ones with feet and tappings for the unions.

I have the 9" stuff in this side of the house. It's all 7" in the bedrooms (I know it's no longer made). Will the new 9" match up exactly with the old stuff (circa 1957)?

The draw-up tool is available from Burnhan for a "nominal fee". Any idea of how much this might be?

Anyone familiar with S.E. Pennsylvania (I'm in Collegeville)? Would Duff or Weinstein carry BaseRay stuff?

Thanks everyone.
  • fmkennedy
    fmkennedy Member Posts: 1
    removing nipples from old baseray

Folks, Any advise for removing old nipples from some stored (15years) cast iron sections with the nipples in place.  Would anyone recommend cleaning them up and re-using them.  many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.