Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Tank Question

Jim_24
Jim_24 Member Posts: 1
I am having a problem with my underground oil tank. It seems out of no where the vaccuum on my oil pump is close to 20 inches. I had no heat a few days ago and then a couple of service calls later a serviceman said that I have a bad foot vavle in the oil tank. The tank is about 40 years old, I have 2 lines 1/2 in copper to the burner a shut off vavle and the serviceman cleared the line and checked the vavle to see if it was clear. He changed the pump from an A pump to a B pump. But it makes a lot of noise. I was told that the foot vavle is bad. My question is what does a foot vavle do,and how can I fix this with out digging up the tank to expose the lines?

Comments

• Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    oiltechtalk.com

is where you should post this question.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Honest?

My feeling is to do yourself a favor, and find a place for a tank above ground.In the long run, it's going to cost almost as much to get to the "footvalve" by digging it up, and repairing, as it would to replace the tank,unless it's huge.(if there is a footvalve, it will have to be dug up and capped or plugged)

If it is a big tank, think about the future. Banks in my area won't write a mortage for a house with an "in ground" tank now. This thought is spreading in the insurance industry like wild fire.

I like oil heat , and still think it's the best in the cost /BTU vs. most fuels . An underground tank can be a liability and if you ever want to sell your home, now is the time to rid yourself of it. It may cost some now, but as far as I can see, it ain't gonna get any cheaper.JMHO Chris
  • Paul Mitchell
    Paul Mitchell Member Posts: 266
    A foot valve

is a check valve in the bottom of your tank on the supply line. Gotta dig it up and replace, or try using return line into tiger loop. This will work if the return line goes to the bottom of the tank. You would then have one supply line from the tank.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • todd s
    todd s Member Posts: 212
    oil tank

Also if you are in New York, there is currently a NYS income tax credit of $500, which applies to the the replacement of your tank. This is good atleast untill the end of this year, but they may extend it. If it were me I would consider a new tank anyway, what else do you have thats 40years old and still in working order?
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Foot Valve

Foot valves are a one way valve installed in the tank on the supply line . They were used pre WW2 with the use of wall pumps to prevent the siphon back of the oil to help keep the pumps primed . Wall tanks were used with gravity feed oil burners like a Timkin . If the oil line comming in the basement are made of iron you could very well have a footvalve...

My guess by the age of your home , the copper lines and what you describe ,you have a inline check valve that went bad. Look for a hexogon coulpling along the supply line and remove it .And yes if it's not inside you need to dig up the lines. I have found them out side on top of the tank as well .The spring rots out and the ball bearing could slide back and forth causing the exact condition you have decribed...So hurry up and start digging before the ground frost arrives...
  • JackFre
    JackFre Member Posts: 225
    Throwing good money after bad

get rid of the underground tank. I totally agree with other posters on this. At 40 yrs old you cannot say the clock is ticking. The clock HAS ticked!
  • JOHN PITCHER
    JOHN PITCHER Member Posts: 1
    IN GROUND OIL TANKS

IF YOU ARE ANYWHERE NEAR A WETLAND (AND IN SOME CASES NOT) DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND LOSE THE UNDER GROUND TANK. IF THAT TANK EVER LEAKS AND IT IS FOUND TO BE DOING SO YOU ARE IN FOR SOME HEFTY CLEANUP COSTS AND FINES (this could include soil replacement in the hundreds of cubic yards).SINCERLY JOHN PITCHER HEART HEATING
  • DaveGateway
    DaveGateway Member Posts: 568
    tank

Look into a Roth oil tank .Small foot print ,insurance against leakS ,double wall nice product installed one last month
This discussion has been closed.