Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyone know how to convert oil burner to waste oil?

I've been curious about this for a while now... what does Clean Burn do to make their burner tolerant of the other random crap that is in waste oil? Is it something I could replicate myself. You guys know where I'm going with this, don't you... free heat from compressor oil, shop truck oil changes, etc. Anyway, just thought I'd ask the gurus. Thanks, Luke

Comments

• The burner has an air pump

It's a different creature all together.

Noel
  • Firedragon_2
    Firedragon_2 Member Posts: 11
    Don't even think about it,

not only is is dangerous and makes you the manufacturer (see you accept all liability), but it's not that easy.

First of all, as Noel correctly stated the burner has a compressor and a few other things that make it a low-pressure, air atomizing burner. Most residential jobs are high pressure atomizers.

Most importantly, the waste oil furnaces run from 8 to 12 gauge in steel thickness, most resi's are 13 and lower. This can become a major problem (see carbon monoxide).
  • John@Reliable_5
    John@Reliable_5 Member Posts: 76
    As a former Clean Burn Dealer...............

I have seen it tried afew times (it won't work). If you really look at a waste oil burner vs. a oil burner you will see the difference. They are 180 from each other. If you can produce about 1000 gals of waste oil a year look into an real one.John@Reliable
  • MikeB34
    MikeB34 Member Posts: 155
    In Canada

Waste oil burners are not legal in a residential application. You may want to check with the local authority on that to if that's where its going.

Mike B
  • Guy_5
    Guy_5 Member Posts: 159
    Waste Oil

Maybe one of the older crowd has this answer- Was it the Winkler or the Iron Fireman that would burn just about anything? I am not condoning this as an option, but this post just brought on a memory that was given to me by a mentor.
  • Louie
    Louie Member Posts: 18
    Clean Burn oil gun

Luke, I purchased a Clean Burn D gun years ago as a replacement for something I never had! Thats another story.
    The oil that enters the nozzle is mixed with compressed air
    both are regulated from the outside of the gun and are
    adjustible depending what weight oil you are burning. So one thing you need is to set it up like a torch. The D pump can go from 150,000 to 500,000 btu's. It's capable of throwing a 4ft flame! I had a riot experimenting with it for many winters and had some interesting results. The other point which is very important is the oil must be kept between 138-141 degree's for proper combustion. The D pump has a immersion electric heater to do this but it tends to cook the oil. It needs a better way to regulate the temp of the oil. Go for it if you have a good oil source, I saved a TON OF MONEY using it.

Louie
This discussion has been closed.