Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water Quality & Indirects

Options
use if the cloride content was elevated? Steel w/ steel x-changer...,stonelined w/ removable coil...????

Comments

• kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    Water Quality & Indirects

I have a job that people want lots of hot water and have some hardness issues...Weil plus tank-in-tank sounds like a good idea being no coil to lime up...however is the warranty issue w/ clorides and stainless pertaining to, salt-NaCl OR clorine in city water? They have a softener but I don't think they keep up w/ the maintainance as they should...kpc
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    A softner manufacture

I know claims problems can arise, with stainless, if the softner does not rinse the salt (sodium chloride) out completly after the final rinse.

This fellow does a lot of large systems for food processing facilities. As such his systems see a lot of stainless steel piping.

Crown also has criteria in their stainless tank manual and on tank sticker. Chlorides below 80ppm, and ph between 6-8.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Joe_13
    Joe_13 Member Posts: 201
    Options
    reverse indirects

How about the ErgoMax or Dunkirk Artesian. These are the tankless coil idea moved to an insulated tank will the boiler water circulating in the jacket. The DHW coil is copper and the steel tank just sees dead boiler water. Also TFI-everhot.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Now that I have had

a fifteen year track record using a dozen different brands and styles...

If it were my place I go with a good old glass lined steel, indirect tank. Looks like more and more manufactures are adding these to their lines.

Heck tens years on a fired steel tank seem realistic. Most have 6, 7, or 10 year warranties.

I just installed a HTP Contender (steel/ glass), nice large diameter HX. I was impressed with the 80 gallon capacity recovery with a 140,000 input boiler.

Buderus has had a steel tank for years. Bradford White just added a glass lined steel. Possibly Lochinvar? Generally a couple hundred bucks cheaper for steel/ glass, and I predict as long, or longer life expectency. Especially with funky water conditions.

Can't say I have every seen a leaky Ford (Vaughn)stone lined. Small coil, however. A great solar tank where recovery time isn't so critical. That stone holds heat for days. I drained a Ford once, came back a day later and heat was still ozzing from the nipple connections on top!

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    thanks...(nm)

This discussion has been closed.