Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant ceiling/floor in old farmhouse

Options
Thanks for the info.
Couple of points though...
In my area there are very few hydronic radiant instalations. The local contractors ( the ones i have delt with dont know much about it and dont want to. Many of these so called professionals I wouldn't want anywhere withing 5 miles of my farm ( no offence to anyone out there).
Also I am not your average DIYer. I have had lots of experience with advanced projects and am always willing to learn.
I had done a heatloss calculation a while back on a few rooms but ai have ordered the free one from this site.
Also where would I find these seminars? Can you reccomend any books that I my find at the library?
We have a pretty good Tech Coll. nearby.
I even wouldnt mind taking a few courses.
Also I forgot to mention that the system will be heated by an outside wood fired boiler. It will in time supply heat to more than one structure.
Thanks

Comments

• jkebxjunke
    jkebxjunke Member Posts: 3
    Options
    radiant ceiling/floor in old farmhouse

I have an old farm house with no current heating system.
    I am going to be doing a fair amount of remodeling and I want to put in a heating system. The house is on a crawl-space that is not too accesible. There is an attic over about 2/3 of it. It is a 2 story with hardwood floors in most.
    I was looking at the ceilings on the downstairs and noticed that some of them are cracked. I was thinking of removing the ceilings on the lower level which would give me access to the floors above. I was thinking of putting tubes to the floor above, a radiant barrier, insulation, radiant barrier, tubes and then ceiling. I also wanted to put in the ductwork for ac at the same time( most likely the high velocity system with the small ducts).
    Is there any sites that has any useful info on this? I was planning to use PEX since the water here is rather harsh on copper.
    Thanks for any input.
  • Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    Options
    farmhouse

As said here so often, this is not a job for an non-professional. It needs to be done right the first time around, or your remodeling project will have to be remodeled.....get the picture??? Just remember that you will have to live with this system for a long time, so doing it right is SO IMPORTANT to you and your family's comfort. Spend some time and find a good contractor that will work with you to design and layout the system. Most of us are so busy, we don't mind the owner providing some of the labor, as long as it's done right. If you still intend to do it yourself, find some workshops or contractor based seminars to learn all you can before you start. Proper planning will prevent poor performance!!!!

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.