Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

combustion test

Options
Leon in NJ
Leon in NJ Member Posts: 15
Where can I read how to do a good combustion test on my oil fed Weil-McCain boiler and what equiptment do I need. I want to change the nozzle and I was told I need to do this to set it up right.

Comments

• Robert O'Connor_4
    Robert O'Connor_4 Member Posts: 88
    Options
    You

can check out:
    http://www.bacharach-training.com/Combustion Zone/Comb/combustion.htm

I honestly feel this is beyond even the most capable homeowner. You need a combustion analyzer which costs between $600 and $1300 . Experience is critical with setting the fire also. Will your ins. cover you if the house soots up?

I would reccomend your local oil co or the "Find A Contractor" feature at the top of this page. You are dealing with fire here.

Best wishes,

Robert
  • Edward A. Carey
    Edward A. Carey Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Combustion testing

Leon,

Bob has given you good advice.

You do not only have to know how to do the combustion tests, you have to understand how to accurately analize the test results.

If you run combustion tests and the unit has a problem, those test results will help to guide you as to what to do to correct the problem. However you would have to understand each variation from the norm of each respective test, and what type of problem(s) relating to the combustion would pertain to various mechanical issues as a root cause.

Please understand, I and the people here are not trying to sell you something. We don't know you, and probably don't know the service person that you would hire to do this work. He could very well be our competition.

That said, it is in your best interest to have the entire heating unit and combustion professionally tested and adjusted , by an experienced person totally familiar with the process.

Other appliances in your home do not need the same care as your oil boiler. Your VCR or computer probably will not hurt you if you do not install and adjust them properly.

Your W-M boiler is inherently very safe, and will keep you in comfort, if you treat it properly. If you do not, it can hurt you.

Regards,
    Edward A. (Ed ) Carey
  • Leon in NJ
    Options

Thanks guys. I think this is one thats out of my league. I'll find somebody to do it and watch him CLOSE.
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    What part of Joisey?

Hi Leon,

I service Hunterdon, Warren and some of Somerset and Morris Counties. Close?

hb

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Leon in NJ
    Options

Thanks "heatboy" but I'm up in Hasbrouck Heights,Bergen county. If you don't mind the drive I'll pay you. If not I'll scout around for a local "combustion master".
This discussion has been closed.