Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

P H test help

Options
LEAD PIPE
LEAD PIPE Member Posts: 199
I just got around to testing the water in the system for the ultra boiler. The manual says the ph should be between 7 and 8.5. mine is just about 6. What do I need to do and how do I do it? I'm a wethead noob so please be specific.

thanks for the help

Comments

• Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    You need to add a little

baking soda. Baking soda is a 9 Ph, so if it's a 4 section or less, I throw in a pound. Mix it with water first and it gets easy.
  • Mr. Smith
    Mr. Smith Member Posts: 26
    Options
    never

would have thought about baking soda!!!

what do you use to bring the level down???

my guess would be vinegar or something similar. what if you are using glycol in your system?

Chris

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    That's an aluminum

heat exchanger. You need to be real careful with water treatment, as you noted it has a tight tolerance. Are you saying you drinking water runs a ph of 6?

I think I would be sure to flush and clean that system first. It could be residual solder flux or something throwing that ph to that range.

After a good clean and flush, again test the fluid. Considering the cost of that boiler I would consider a good hydronic treatment conditioner. A good treatment will buffer the ph, scavange any O2, and most importantly for that HX, it will offer a film provider to coat and protect the aluminum from any attacks. This way you assure good heat transfer from the burner to the fluid. Even a tiny amount of scale or hardness build up throws the low mass, small passage HXs for a loop.

The latest batch of condensing boilers, regardless of the brand, will need more waterside care than the ole cast iron appliances we are used to. Check with the manufactures for cleaning and warranty requirements!

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    Options
    modern water tretment for these new hitech components

Our two new products were specifically design for these applications (cleaning and prevention). Go to our web site www.rhomarwater.com and look under hydronic category. The 9100 cleans the system and the 922 safeguards against the various chemistries that can happen due to the different metals etc. Like Hotrod said, these new systems are much more complicated in their water treatment. Like many areas in our lives, technology has its gifts and the need to respond in a new way.
  • LEAD PIPE
    Options
    yes

I just tested the drinking water and it was a 6 also. Where can I get this conditioner you mention and will it bring up the ph?
  • George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    Options
    see my post under modern treatment of water

My post will give you some input.
  • heretic
    heretic Member Posts: 159
    Options
    pH 6

Do you get copper stains in your tub and such?
    pH of 6 is hard on the pipes and most water heaters.
    Consider an alkaline injection system.
    Most use Soda ash, also known as sodium carbonate (CNa2O3).

Do you have a well? That would be unusual for a municipal water supply.
  • LEAD PIPE
    Options
    nope

No no water staining of any kind, maybe the strips were wrong is there a more advanced test that can be done?
  • paul lessard_2
    paul lessard_2 Member Posts: 192
    Options
    I can't wait to get mine

It was a pleasure talking with you the other day George.
This discussion has been closed.