Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Training Manual?

Options
Bill NTSG
Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
a training manual for training mechanics to train todays generation of apprentices??

First off, I am an ignorant old redneck and my father was in the Marine Corps. I have worked for blue collar working class drinking men bosses most of my life and know no other way.

We have a very sensitive young man in his early 20's. He has complained to my boss that I 'yelled' at him. Dude, every time I ask this person to do something there is a debate.

I have 30 yrs experience in the trade but I never had children so I do not know how to pamper and coddle this more sensitive younger generation. I am expected to treat him like an equal and he has 3 months in the trade?

In two days he has broken my hacksaw, my level, my tubing cutter, and what else I don't know yet. What the .... On the ride home today he sulked for 20 minutes and spoke not a word. I yelled at 8:05 am , and I didn't even yell. He has the boss and the other 2 guys buffaloed so it is 3 against 1.

What am I supposed to do? Could some one suggest a book. I have trained people in the past, they have become very good tradespeople

Comments

• Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    I would use the NORA/NAOHSM/PMAA

etc, etc. book. It's been around forever and now under NORA at $25.00 a copy it's hard to beat for the $$$.

As to your rookie, if he's such a problem, ask the boss to have him work with someone else.

Don't worry about it Bill, the younger generation are not all like him, but it's hard to find middle ground today. They either get it or they don't.

There's a lot of older people in that category too! It's all how you were raised and a matter of ethics.
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    Little Wimps

Hi Bill,

I wouldn't worry about him. When I met you at Wetstock you struck me as a very laid back guy. If he can't take it he may not be ready for the work force yet. I work with a guy 28 and he acts like my 17yr old. He is oblivious to his surroundings. Unfortunately a big part of todays generation is clueless.

Leo
  • HP80
    HP80 Member Posts: 55
    Options

Just a personal observation but I have seen (kids) rookies come and go and I have seen the good ones imate the good trainers this is really the only thing you should keep in mind(how good you are at your craft, the other person is trying to learn from you?)I t is really neat to see some of these kids develope the work ethics and attitudes of their trainers!
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Well, not........

to sound too conceited or arrogant, Yes, I have a real passion for what I do. I learn anything and
    everything I can to be better at what I do.

I go to seminars, I visit the Wall often, I try to keep an open mind and I always look for a better way to do things.

All of my soldered joints are wiped , my pipes are plumb , level , and square and I never go cross lots or as the crow flies qwith my piping. I sweep the floor when I am done. I do not pipe steam boilers in copper.

If you ever saw any of my boiler pics here on the Wall you would see. I am not in Heatboys league but maybe a blue collar version of work that is similar.

Humble, well not always, but you stepped on a raw nerve. I should not have made the redneck comment. This kid really needs nothing from me because he already knows it all. Maybe I will let him run the next job.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    hard love

i've been in the business 20 years plus and i know kids today don't care 2 minutes after they start they think there the boss they don't want to help sight up jobs carry tools nothing i'm 40 i still carry my elder work mates stuff when we tag team stuff it's respect out of 10 or 15 helper i had one who got it still works for the old company and is one of thewre best i tell my helper when they did good i tell'em i'm giving them 1 man point and maybe one day they will be a man and when they do crap i take them away it's hard to be teaching and show any respect to them when they know it all so treat them like mushrooms and you know the rest just remenber this work and stuff we do is not for every body that's why there cops and dpw workers but just keep in mind it all looks simple to them cause they don't know yet when i get one like yours i let them make there own noose and dig themselves deep and then help them and teach i used to call the guy i mentioned before a worthless bucket of jizz for years he got over it i know it not like it used to be and will never be but besides the learning curve it's all about respect and if they don't show it let them figuer it all out for them selves just give them enough rope good luck and hard love is the only way to make these kids realize what's it all about man points and being one to get them good luck and don't be mister softy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Chris Reak
    Chris Reak Member Posts: 20
    Options

If you have viewed this before, please accept my apology in advance.

The next time you deal with a person who was born in 1985 {18 years old}, just remember:

1.They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and probably have no idea he was ever shot.

2.There has been 1 pope their whole entire lifetime.

3.They were 10 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the cold war.

4.They are too young to remember the space schuttle blowing up on takeoff.

5.Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

6.Atari predates them, as do vinyl records {you sound like a broken record, huh?}.

7.They have likely never played Pac-Man before and never heard of Pong.

8.They may have never heard of an 8-track tape. CD's were introduced when they were 1 year old.

9.They have always had an answering machine.

10.They have never seen a TV with only 13 channels or black and white.

11.They know what a VCR is, but not Beta.

12.They have never heard the commercial, "Help me, I have fallen and can't get up!"

13.Roller skating has always been in-line skating to them.

14.Michael Jackson has always been white.

15.Jay Leno has always hosted the tonight show.

16.Popcorn has always been cooked in a microwave.

17.They have never seen Larry Bird play basketball.

18.They never took a swim and thought about "Jaws".

19.They do not know of Mork or where he was from.

20.They do not know who shot J.R. or who J.R. was.

21.Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America are all places, not bands.

22.They have no clue how to use a typewriter.

The problem with teaching a new generation has more to do with the habits and mindset of the teacher than the lack of knowledge of the student. Patience is key. THE TEACHER WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED BY THE STUDENT. It is the actions of the teacher and how the teacher reacts to the student that makes the experience, and the memory, good or bad for the student.

Hope this helps,

Thanks
    Chris Reak

This discussion has been closed.