Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do you know if you have a low water cut off?

Options
Joe.G
Joe.G Member Posts: 213
How do you know if you have a low water cut off? I am wondering if one is on my system, I have a boiler that does my heat and hot water heat, thanks

Comments

• Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    Options
    lwco

You left out a key word in your question. I assume you want to know if your boiler is equiped with one?
    It is usually mounted on the front of the boiler up high or on the supply pipe leaving the boiler, just above the top of the unit. There are several manufacturers making these devices, bu it should be clearly marked as a low water cut off. It will have wiring attached to it.
    If in doubt, have a heating expert look at it for you.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Interesting question

I like Homeowner questions because they make me think. Years ago a person called me to ask if they had a hot water boiler or a steam boiler, It was installed in the 1930's, and it isn't as easy as one might expect to tell the difference between them. This is like telling someone over the phone how to tie their shoes Anyway, I think you have a hot water boiler, and most don't have a low water cut off. You will need to look at all the controls screwed into the boiler and piping above it and see if any are called a "safeguard" or "guard dog" and not called some variation of "aquastat". If you are a careful homeowner in heating terms having your yearly safety inspection by a professional you should ask that individual to check for you.
  • Rob T
    Rob T Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Another term for

LWCO is a level control. Just thought I'd throw that in as I am looking at a McDonnell & Miller Model 900-M LWCO and all it says on the outside (Besides their name and address) is Level Control...

I just replaced two of these with McDonnell & Miller RB 24 GuardDog LWCOs.

Rob
  • Joe.G
    Options

I don't think I have one then, all I see is the auto feed, blow off vavle and two thermostats. The reason I was asking this is so I know if it is safe to turn the water off that goes to teh auto feed, i guess not now. I do have the system checked once at least once a year usaly twice a year though, due to it's age thinks do get clogged up once in a while.
  • Edward A. Carey
    Edward A. Carey Member Posts: 48
    Options
    LWCO

Joe,

One picture is worth a thousand posts :)

Can you post a couple of photos? If you do, we can probably tell you more than you would ever care to know about your boiler.

Regards,

Edward A.(Ed) Carey
  • Joe.G
    Options

I don't have a digital camera at the moment.
  • Einsiedler
    Einsiedler Member Posts: 61
    Options
    LWCO's ( most dont have one??)

re:Anyway, I think you have a hot water boiler, and most don't have a low water cut off

I sell LWCO's with EVERY boiler I sell. It's cheap insurance to protect a rather large investment. Even if the system has an autofeed.

Luck would have it that the leak you get will happen at same time that the fire dept is putting out major fire down the street or when the city has the water shut off for repairs. It doesn't take long to ruin a boiler that has fired with no water in it.. particularly copper tube.

"Everything is better wet"
    Einsiedler

This discussion has been closed.