Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

California Fire

Options
...all of you Californians. Lets hope for lots of rain...soon. Having experienced a raging forest fire by my town only 6 weeks ago, I know how horrible it is. Be safe out there! If they tell you to evacuate, go!

Comments

• Heatermon
    Heatermon Member Posts: 119
    Options
    News from the front

Thanks for thinking of us Mike, I've never seen anything like this in all my life living here (38). Sure, we've had fires here before, but not in these conditions (high winds & overgrown terrain) and not this late in the season with little to no aide due to all our resources having been on the other 2 fires from last week (Camp Pendleton and Cucamonga) leaving us this vulnerable. When the fires hit yesterday, I couldn't believe how fast they reached the suberbs and how much damage they did. My home is up in nortern Escondido by Lake Dixon. We evacuated late yesterday after noon and thanks to a late ocean beeze that cut down the Santa Anna winds that were pushing it to our backyard, we were able to go home late last night. I'll tell ya, it was something to lay awake waiting for the knock on the door to come. The CDF water trucks were going up and down the street all night (We live below a main water storage facility that they were filling up at) but when morning came they were headed off to the San Pasqual Valley (The SAn Diego Wild Animal Park is there) becasue the fire was headed out to meet the ones coming from Poway and Ramona. It's weird how everthing is at the wrong place making it impossible to get a handle on it and we still don't know where its going to end. Right now, I'm at my shop where its totaly safe, but there's ashes coming down here like rain and its dark outside. All of our people and their homes are safe, but we don't have anything to do but wait and watch. On a side note, I remember very well the last time our Chargers played at home on a Monday night. It was against the Raiders (I was there) a couple of years ago. That was the night of our Harmony Grove fire that went into Carlsbad and was the last "biggest fire ever". I hope they don't ever schedule us at home on Moday nigt again. I'll keep ya posted as I can - there's not much else for me to do.

Heatermon

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hydronicsmike
    hydronicsmike Member Posts: 855
    Options
    Heatermon

I hope your family and all others are safe. Its sad to read about lifes lost. We had lost close to 260 homes in our city ourselves this summer and certainly know how horrible nature can be. I hope my prayers can help.

Most important thing is to listen to the authorities. If they tell you to leave, do it! In our blaze, they have done a tremendous job and 260 homes lost is nothing compared to what could have happened. Homes and articles can be rebuilt. Lifes can't.

Bless you all with some rain.....now! I wish there was more than wishing and praying I could do for you.

Keep us updated.

Mike
  • Heatermon
    Heatermon Member Posts: 119
    Options
    Great photo

First time i've seen an aerial of what we are going through. The news out here is so skewed its hard to know whats really happening. I'm back at my shop again for awhile. Brought some things from home just in case. We're the "little" red area above the rounded red area above and right of San Diego. We've finally gotten some help our way, but another fire has broken out north of us in Fallbrook. I think the wacos are out setting some more since everybody is busy elsewhere. Our neighborhood is safe for now, but a development 1 mile south-east of our is being evacuated as the fire is moving down the side of the hill to it. If it gets there, it should burn out easily because that is where our city development starts and it will be easy to contain and put out. We still have the lake (Dixon) between us and the fire, but its coming around the backside unabated because its just open terrain for nature. It's called the Daley Ranch and if it gets through there, its got a straight line out to the coast that could catch next and really start something. My neighbor, a fire captain, told us we're fine as long as the winds don't pick up. We should be o.k. for now because Santa Ana winds are done for the day now and we should be getting our coastal breeze again to push the fire away from us again. The only problem is going to be in the early morning hours again when the Santa Ana winds could pick up again. I'm at the point where I wish it would just push it our way so we could get it over with, one way or another, because I think we have a great chance to put it out before it gets to our development. This waiting around part bites. My neighbors have set up a "watch area" at the top of our hillside and have been telling us since yesterday that the fire was "almost here". From what I can see we're not going to know if it's going to hit us till it hits us. Anyway, we're doing better than most and are just sitting around waiting. It's our version of a "snow day", but with a lot more excitement. Thanks for your thoughts.

Heatermon

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.