Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Insulating steam pipe valves, joints, couplings

Options
Subject: Steam boiler pipe insulation.

I have 2 inch pipes and 1 1/2" pipes leading to/from my boiler with a number of valves, joints and unions (couplings) that are larger than the 2" and 1 1/2" pipes attached to the boiler. Where can I get and what size fiberglass insulation do I need to cover the valves, joints and unions that are of several larger sizes than the pipes? The insulation I have for the 2" pipe is 1/2' thick by 3'foot lengths FIBR*54. Must I insulate the pipes that are attached at the boiler level?

Comments

• pfitter_23
    pfitter_23 Member Posts: 1
    Options
  • Salvatore DiChristina
    Options
    Pfitter

Thank you for your kind response. 1 more question. What about the large couplings that join 2 straight pipes together on a 2" and 1 1/2" pipes. Is there a product built for those and if it is a coupling on a 2" pipe must i know the size of the coupling or just order insulation for a coupling on a 2" pipe? As you can tell I am truly a novice at this. Thank you again
  • Salvatore DiChristina
    Options

• Salvatore DiChristina
    Options

• pfitter_24
    pfitter_24 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Insulation

Sal,

As a general rule a "Coupling" is not much larger than the pipe. The insulator just streaches the piece over it. Pros staple the seams in addition to the self stick adhisive. If what you have is a flange then, yes they make a piece for that. Measure the od.

p
This discussion has been closed.