Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant and cork

Options
antman
antman Member Posts: 182
I have a customer who is interested in using cork as a floor covering in a kitchen/breakfast room. The total load will be 12,885, the total area is 332 sq.ft. but there are cabinets I will be avoiding. After heatloss calcs I come up with 47.4 btu sq.ft. way too much, I need 175 supply water and surface temp comes back at 88.8*(using 7" quick-trak). The existing system is steam,I will leave one of the existsing large radiators in Breakfast area where there is alot of glass for supllemental heat and install a TRV on that radiator. I was thinking of using a Pro-Mix 101 for the new zone with a set point control w/slab sensor, I will probably be doing a Everhot HX off new boiler.

My questions, What is the best installation method for above a suspended floor, Thermo-fin, Quick trak?

What is the best way to install a slab sensor with this product?

Where do I get the r-value of the flooring product?

Any articles to give me some advice, do's and don'ts?

Thanks as always, Ant

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=239&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    Ant....

I am doing a quick trac job right now, it goes down nice...only 1/2"..quick responce time...beats the stiff neck from looking up. As to the r-value does the flooring co. have any info/requirements...warranty issues? Taco makes a good injection control,simple work well w/ the EXP relays. kpc
  • Radiant Wizard
    Radiant Wizard Member Posts: 159
    Options
    You Better

have a professional do that heat loss. Here in New England I design for 0 degrees and there is no way a room of 332 sqft has this high of a heat loss. I figure at worse case it's 8,500 btus and that's if I figure on using baseboard take approx 35 percent off that for a radiant loss (air changes per hour are different) and now your around 5,500. As far as RV-Value for cork 1/4" = 0.3 / 1.2" = 0.6 /
    3/4" = 0.9 / 1" = 1.2.
  • antman
    Options
    Heatloss

Maybe you can pickup something that I am doing wrong, but the room has a total of 3 exposed walls, no heat below, single pane steel frame leaded windows in the entire breakfast area. I designed for 0* outside 70* inside.

I didn't have an r-value for the floor so I entered 2, I will change that, but that wont effect the heatloss.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • antman
    Options
    heatloss

I'll admit i'm not the best on this ADS program yet, but maybe you can pick something up i'm doing wrong.

The room is a dogleg, 3 exposed, no heat below, lots of glass.

I have heard that cork is an insulator and not very good as a radiant panel, thats why I am concerned, I would like as much info as possible and don't want any problems when doing this.

Thanks for the advice.

Ant

Also can someone tell me how to add supplemetal heat when doing the heatloss on the ADS software so i can get accurate water and surface temps?

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • antman
    Options
    heatloss

I'll admit that i'm not the best yet with the ADS software but this room is a dogleg, 3 exposed, no heat below, allot of steel frame leaded windows.

Is there something that you see I am doing wrong? I would be more than happy to hear. I have heard that cork is a good insulator and not a very good radiant floor covering, so I want to be sure I am on the money with everything, as well as hear any feedback from people with experience.

Any thoughts?

Also anyone know how to add supllemental heat to the ADS program as your designing, I want to have accurate water, and surface temps since I will probably leave a radiator where there is the most heatloss for the windy cold days.

Thanks, Ant

• Radiant Wizard
    Radiant Wizard Member Posts: 159
    Options
    A few things I see wrong

Infiltration Factor is to high (Air Changes) should be .5. Room temperature should be 68 not 70. I also think you R-Values for your windows are too low. There was no window schedule in the print layout. The other thing is that you did the whole leg as 1 room. I would split this heat loss into 2 rooms. Why? Looks like you have a potential for some serious solar gain in the breakfast room. Here's what I came up with.

Radiant Heat Load = 6,213 Btu/hr
    Water Temp = 102.8
    Surface Temp = 76.2
    BTU per SqFt = 16.4

I used Heat Transfer Plates @ 8" cc as my attachment method.

My Floor Covering R-Value was 1.22

Forget the supplemental there is no need for it.
This discussion has been closed.