Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

5/8 Radiant Loop in wall with BB??

Options
anthony_7
anthony_7 Member Posts: 72
I would like to hear any opinions on running 5/8 pex loop (on a 8X10 wall ). Then tie that into about 30ft of baseboard. This on a single zone.

Also is there any calc on figuring how far on center to put the pex.

Reason being is limited on space for BB in bathroom. Thanks

Comments

• Joe_13
    Joe_13 Member Posts: 201
    Options
    What temp will it run?

You're gonna have hot feet when you run a radiant floor at 180 degrees. Lowering the water temp will lower the BB output for the other room. You'll also be restricting the flow throught the 3/4" BB adding to the drop in output.
  • anthony_7
    anthony_7 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    In the wall

I was going to run the pex not on the floor and put foil backing behind it. I will run at 180 going out.

Thanks
  • Anthony said

he wants to run the radiant in the wall , not in the floor . I am going to try radiant in the wall also . While at a class for Aquapex , we touched on the subject of radiant walls and ceilings . The seminar host said to design the layout for around 25 BTUs per foot of heated wall . When I asked how far on center the loops had to be , he said it didn't matter , which does not sound right .

Anthony , what are you planning on putting on the wall with radiant ? If its ceramic tile , do the pros know how it will hold up to 160 - 180 degree pex ? Is there an advantage to using one backer over another - drywall , blueboard , wonderboard ? I could use some opinions also with my "project" coming up . Thanks guys .
  • steve_26
    steve_26 Member Posts: 82
    Options
    radiant walls

we did a room with radiant high temp.walls using Stadler climate panels and the floor with low temp using mixing valve. The floor is constant circulation conrtolled by a outdoor stat.The wall is on a t-stat when floor can't handle the load on cold days.The room is dry wall and works great.
    steve
  • Frank_17
    Frank_17 Member Posts: 107
    Options

3/8 pex has the same flow capacity as 3/4 copper
  • eleft(retired)_3
    eleft(retired)_3 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    3/8 or 5/8?

are you basing this on the number of elbows needed to connect copper to baseboard?

al
  • eleft(retired)_3
    eleft(retired)_3 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    5/8 PEX Radiant Loop in wall with BB??

I think, by the time the radiant loop has any effect the baseboard will have heated the space

al
  • where..

the heck did you read this. you better get a new book.

3/4 PEX has the same flow as 1/2 PEX
  • Einsiedler
    Einsiedler Member Posts: 61
    Options
    agreed

agreed.
  • Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Options
    Radiant Wall.... 5/8,3/8,1/2, whatever

I don't think I'd be running 180, 160, or even 140F water
    in a wall with sheetrock; if that's what you have. You didn't say what the wall construction is going to be. Drywall won't stand up to the Temp. 120F MAX.

Jed
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Had a job.....

About 12 years ago , to retrofit a boiler in a house that was done in "ceiling radiant tubing". The guy who built the house used to work at the shipyards, and had a thing for horeding "leftovers".

His ceilings were run with monnell 3/8 tubing. When he got to the bathroom, there wasn't enough ceiling space for the loss. He decided to wrap the cast iron tub in the tubing, thereby turning it into a low temp radiator. He also got rave revievs from his wife because she was putting hot water into a already warm tub, and it didn't suck the heat from the water supplied, like most cast tubs do. I figure this guy was about 45 years ahead of the local heat guys! Just one more thing to think about. Obviously, you wouldn't run the tub surround heat at 180°, but at a 90-100° temp, a cast tub could give off enough heat to act as a radiator, and the outlet could give up enough for the base board to make up the rest. Chris
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    shipyard plumbers

i might have known that guy!! lol when i worked in the yard in Quincy ,mass. the guys would come up with piping designs that were mind boggling. they even used monel for car exhaust systems. the salt air was not a problem anymore and the exhaust was worth more than some cars. bob n.y.c.
This discussion has been closed.