Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Banging Zone valves

Options
Hey, I had this problem before. Went to a job where there were honeywell zone valves, now they shut fast. So we replaced them with taco zone valves, because they shut off very slow. this will solve your problem. MT

Comments

• Mitch_3
    Mitch_3 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Banging Zone valves

I have a radiant heating system with erie zone valves and they are constitly banging , is there a better type of valve that i could use . Do some valves shut off more slowly .
    Thanks for the help
  • bigugh_4
    bigugh_4 Member Posts: 406
    Options
    The standard soultion

for banging zone valves is making sure the flow thru them is correct. The flow must be in proper direction (usually a embossed arrow) for that brand zone valve. Check that first! just my opinion
  • bigugh_4
    bigugh_4 Member Posts: 406
    Options
    The standard soultion

for banging zone valves is making sure the flow thru them is correct. The flow must be in proper direction (usually a embossed arrow) for that brand zone valve. Check that first! just my opinion
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    Eries can throw you

The arrow on the motor (disassembly directions) points one way, the arrow on the body the other!

You need to be concerned with the arrow on the body for flow direction.

Unfortunatly a misplaced torch makes those stickers on the body disappear in the wink of an eye! Wish they had arrows cast or engraved in the brass bodies. Unless you know the layout of the body it's hard to know flow direction when the sticker is missing.

Still my favorite zone valve.

Is the pump sized correctly? Has it been changed recently?

A PAB (pressure activated bypass) valve is a very nice feature on zone valved system. Eliminates noise and helps control flow as valves open and close.

Make sure you install them with a ball valve or purging gets real interesting :)

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Erie

That's the valve used as the "auto purge" on my steam shower generator but with different labeling.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    Steamer purge

valves are often 120 volt and do not have end switches. 120 volt ZVs don't work well on 24V :). Same with relays, they sometimes get mislabeled! Believe it or not.

I have also had suppliers send out 24 volt dc relays, now there's one that will throw you for a loop.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Steve Miller
    Steve Miller Member Posts: 115
    Options
    banging zone valves

> Hey, I had this problem before. Went to a job

> where there were honeywell zone valves, now they

> shut fast. So we replaced them with taco zone

> valves, because they shut off very slow. this

> will solve your problem. MT

• Art Pittaway
    Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
    Options
    Like to answer a few questions...

First off it is probably in backward. An Erie, properly installed should close off against the water flow, it's quite slow and won't bang. With the water pushing the spring return it will just ram closed. Thanks for the vote hot rod. We don't cast the arrow into the body because the bodies are used for both two and three way applications, so we use the crummy tag. Might as well admit it. But, if you look at the 2-way body, under each end where you can't see it, is a small "A" and "B" cast into the body. Flow is from "B" TO> "A". Use a mirror or a small amount of putty to get an impression to confirm the letter. Otherwise, with the Pop-Top off, on top there is a machined locator on one side and the valve shaft on the other. Looking from the locator side the flow is from left to right. For much more info our web site is www.invensysibs.com/erie. Installation sheets are in PDF for just about everything. Art
  • Art Pittaway
    Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
    Options
    One more time....!

This discussion has been closed.