Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oxygen Barrier PEX

Options
LD
LD Member Posts: 26
Roughly when was PEX with Oxygen Barrier commonly installed?

More specifically, would a house that is 1.5 years old definitely have the oxygen barrier on the in-floor (in slab) PEX?

Thank You

Comments

• John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 356
    Options
    Oxygen barrier?

Pex tubing with an oxygen barrier and without has been available for 20+ years.The only way to be sure is to compare the marking on the tubing to barrier and non barrier tubing.The tubing certainly available but it is possible that non barrier tubingwas installed.

John
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    what brand....

is the tube? Or what color or other ID marks are there? kpc
  • kevin_5
    kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    What's your situation?

Oxygen barrier is one way to control system corrosion due to oxygen diffusion. You can also use all non-ferrous components in the system so there is nothing to rust, or separate the ferrous components from the non-barrier tubing with a heat exchanger.
    Depending on different scenarios, these might all be viable options. Adding a chemical rust inhibitor is another option that isn't very popular as far as I know because of maintenance/disposal concerns.
    Is this a contractor liability issue, a home buyer's inspection or what? Kevin

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • DL
    DL Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Oxygen barrier PEX

We are planning to buy a house that is 1.5 years old.
    I was just wondering whether or not we are going to run into boiler rust-out problems (if the PEX is non-barrier).

I will check the tubing the next time I am in the house.
    The boiler has stainless steel burners but cast iron heat exchangers.

I was just hoping that a timeframe would make it clear whether or not it has Oxygen barrier PEX or not.

Thanks guys!
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    don't take a....

chance here....Find out for sure (ie get out a pro if possible). Is this radiant in a slab or a staple up? The situation you describe is real and depending on the company who sold the material to the installer it could be either way...improper installs of tubing w/o the proper precautions could be costly to fix and or maintain. kpc
This discussion has been closed.