Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

question for hot rod

Options
Noront
Noront Member Posts: 7
hotrod a few months ago i posted a question about using warmboard and you offered some advice and installing tips if i wanted. I bit the bullit and ordered it and will be installing next week.Any hints or tips would be very helpfull. Thanks in advance

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
    Options
    Sounds like you

are installing it yourself? The sheets are very heavy, make sure you have a helper to move and place them. A good worm drive circular with a carbide tip blade is best for cutting.

Wear good goggle type eye protection as the aluminum shards fly everywhere!

Eyeball across the joist to make sure they are fairly even, this allows the tounge and groove to align easily. Sometimes a tap with a sledge is needed to drive them together, protect the tounge when you pound on the edge.

Examine the pile and check all the T&G sides and clean the groves and repair or cut any damaged tounge sections or they will not come together and the tube grooves will not align. Sometimes rough forklift handling or the metal banding damages the T&G. Much much easier to do this before you get the construction adhesive on the sheet!

Get a "glue stick" a long handled dispenser for the construction adhesive to reach out and get a good bead on every joist.

I never had luck with screw guns and used a "powerful" 16D nailer to shoot them down.

Make sure you use the sealer they provide on any ends you cut.

The stuff is fairly slippery with saw dust on it, like those bar room bowling machines :) Use a nozzle in your air hose, or a broom to keep it clean. They are much less slippery after a rain!

Don't go nuts trying to protect the grooves, small dings are easy to work out before you tube.

Personally I like to wait until after sheetrock to install the tube. Much less chance of damage and UV breakdown of the barrier.

I feel the PAPs are the best tube to use. It stays in the groove much better and has less expansion movement. Also the O2 barrier is inside, so the squeeky sounds from movement on the EVOH barrier is a non issue.

I have some router tips and templete ideas if you need to alter or add grooves, but getting it placed is the first step..

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Noront
    Noront Member Posts: 7
    Options

I thank you for your reply. Im going to print this out and show it to my carpenter. maybe in a couple of weeks ill be looking for them router hints
This discussion has been closed.