Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect versus Tankless Water Heater

Options
jon
jon Member Posts: 17
WHICH IS BETTER, INDIRECT OR TANKLESS WATER HEATERS? AND WHY? Soon I need to replace my conventional water heater. I was planning to buy an Indirect WH like Phase 3, but have been told to strongly consider Viessmann or Buderus instead. I saw on "This Old House" a segment on the benefits of Tankless WHs. Seems like the new kinds of Tankless can handle multiple showers and another appliance (clothes/dish washer), as can Indirect WHs. Seems like both kinds provide immediate hot water, both are low energy users (don't waste heat when not in use), both are generally the same cost (about $1000-$1500). I know that Tankless may be smaller but space in our basement is plentiful so that's not an issue. Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• jim sokolovic
    jim sokolovic Member Posts: 439
    Options
    Are you referring to...

a tankless coil, which is installed in the boiler?
  • jon
    jon Member Posts: 17
    Options

No... I don't think it was a tankless coil installed in the boiler. I think This Old House was referring to "A newer tankless water heater that is a wall-mounted unit that only comes on to heat the water when a faucet opens looking for hot water. Because you are heating water as you need it, it is "tankless," also called instantaneous. They work beautifully and are made of stainless steel so they last. The up side is that you could shower for 24 hours straight. The down side is that there is a limited amount of water per minute that can be made so that two major uses of hot water cannot happen at the same time." Hope this answers your question.
  • jim sokolovic
    jim sokolovic Member Posts: 439
    Options
    So the instantaneous water heater is...

direct-fired and I would assumeit modulates it's input, to provide a fairly steady water temperature (within the specified flow rate). It's still another piece of equipment to maintain, though - the indirect's only mechanical part is the pump, and you get storage capacity. Look for a well insulated indirect water heater (hourly loss specification), if you go with that. I have one, and have had a few instances of upon waking up or coming home from work, there was no power or fuel available - but at least my wife and I could get in a quick warm shower from the stored hot water :)
  • Steve Eayrs
    Steve Eayrs Member Posts: 424
    Options
    tankless or indirect?

I gather you already have a boiler? and your old water heater is maybe electric? The in-direct is not a stand alone devise, but as the name inplies, it is indirectly heated, through a heat exchanger by a boiler.

If you already have a boiler than I would go with the indirect. If you don't than the indirect and the on-demand (tankless) heater are not even close to the same price.

Steve
  • JackFre
    JackFre Member Posts: 225
    Options
    ON Demand, continuous flow

Check www.rinnai.us or foreverhotwater.com. I have a Buderus with a Buderus 40 gallon indirect in my house. A pretty system. Family of four. Gas consumption in non heat season was 38-44therms/month. Installed Rinnai Continuum 4 yrs ago. Can run two showers all day. Gas consumption for past 4 summers has been 10-15 therms. The difference is system losses. Output capacity on the Continuum is; 60F temp rise- 5.2gpm/313gph, 70F rise-4.5gpm/268gph. I now pay for the hot water I use...no more. BTW, I am affiliated with Rinnai, so absolute bias, but I know they work. An indirect will heat your water for you. It will just cost more to operate.
This discussion has been closed.