Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Floguard Gold vs. copper tubing

Options
what is your water like? Really hard or acidic water probably thr CPVC. However it has it limitations if you need to work on it later..ie. gotta let thre glue dry...
I actually like PEX tubing over cpvc or copper.I like the vanguard or wirsbo brands....kpc

Comments

• Frank_13
    Frank_13 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Floguard Gold vs. copper tubing

Which is better to run for plumbing and heating? Floguard Gold or copper tubing with well water?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,251
    Options
    My choices

would lean towards pex or copper, maybe a combo of both. I'm always nervous of the glue and primer method in my drinking water piping :)

I suppose once dried it is no worse than the pipe itself.

As for pex vs copper pros and cons.

Copper transmits noise, being a conductor, so running water is heard throughout the building. Uses lots of fittings, the flux issue, although water soluable should be safe. More labor intensive.

Nothing looks better than a professional copper job. Copper certainly has a track record, if the water is within spec! and it is reamed and installed properly.

Pex can be installed without any fittings in the wall (home run method) if this interests you. Less fittings means less pressure drop. Completely silent when water runs through it. It's 30 year plus track record is a feature. Freeze tolarant should the power go out or we run out of gas, oil, LP :) Hard to get that straight, level, plumb look of copper, however.

Sorry I don't have any experience with PVC for potable water. Somewhere in between pex and copper for features and benefits, I guess!

I installed CPVC fire protection "Blazemaster" for awhile. It does go in fast with the least amount of tools, mainly a saw or shear. Hairline cracks haunted us, forever. I think rough handling along the supply route was the main problem. Throwing an ice cold bundle of PVC on a concrete slab is sure to cause some stress! Very hard to find cracks with an air test, and the glycerin antifreeze it required made a huge mess when it leaked through those hairline cracks :)

As with any product, the installer holds the key to a perfect, trouble free install!

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Options
    Floguard

We did one house with Flowguard Gold on the owners request.It's faster than working with copper but has it's own challanges.It needs to be supported more often than copper.It's flexable yet not as flexable as pex.The glue does need time to setup.

If it wasn't for PEX I would consider useing it regularly but in my opinion pex has it all over cpvc.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Jason Horner
    Jason Horner Member Posts: 58
    Options

Hotrod,

Have you looked at Wirso's AQUASAFE product for residential sprinker systems?

http://www.wirsbo.com/main.php?pm=2&mm=3&sm=0&pc=contractor/co_mm3sm0.php
This discussion has been closed.