Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CHEVY ASTRO / GMC SAFARI

Options
I have a '96 AWD Astro - it could climb an ice-covered tree in the winter if I asked it to.

I have driven 2wd Astros in the winter and would avoid them like a plague if you have snow - especially after having driven the AWD

4.3 V6 gets about 12mpg in town :-( Pretty soft rear suspension.

Mark

Comments

• Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    Options
    CHEVY ASTRO / GMC SAFARI

NEW company / 6 months old /
    Looking at buying a used ASTRO AWD for a HVAC service van
    What do you guys think?
    They get good gas milage.
    I also do install but since I know what I am doing each day I can load the tools I need.
    The other choice was a full size van ( F350 ) with a diesel.
    The only thing stopping me is it is not AWD.
    I live in MICH.
  • Douglas Hicks
    Douglas Hicks Member Posts: 69
    Options

My company sells and services fire portection equipment. I operate a 1994 P32 Union City Body step van, @ 6 or 7 MPG. I also use an 1999 E250 to work out of. The ford gets about 13 MPG, but is not large enough to haul my parts and tools. The last vehickl is a 1997 Ranger, at 15 MPG. Do to recent expanison of my business, I need another work vehicle. I will get my new Freightliner Sprinter van on Oct 14. This van is not cheap, but gets 21 to 24 MPG of diesel. There will be room to carry my tools and supplies, neatly so every thing is accessable. I looked at Ford and Chevy vans, before deciding on the Sprinter. The Sprinter is built in Stutgart, Germany by Mercedes Benz. The van has a Freightliner nameplate , is also available with Dodge nameplates. UPS and Fed Ex both have Sprinter in service. More info can be obtained at Sprintervan@yahoogroups.com.

Douglas Hicks
    General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc
  • Murph'_4
    Murph'_4 Member Posts: 209
    Options
    chevy express

has also the AWD feature, not sure what power plant it comes in but might be hard to find on the lot, chevy not available in anything over 6.0 ltre yet!?? freightliner has heavy payload ,I think 2-2 1/2 ton but a little light in the towing department(5k max).

Murph'
  • Ed Wallace_2
    Ed Wallace_2 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    astro/safari vans

i have a 1999 awd astro very happy with it great in snow and ran gets about 13 mph a little small but i can live with it
  • Phil_6
    Phil_6 Member Posts: 210
    Options
    I have an astro van

a 98 I think. I use it for mainly for service work and I love it.The mileage isn't as good as you would think, maybe 10-15 mpg, but it's much better than my other trucks, and much nicer to drive
This discussion has been closed.