Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do you know when its time ??

Options
Josh M.
Josh M. Member Posts: 360
Mabe my experience can be of some help. I recently moved on to a larger company after being employed with a small heating company for quite some time. It is where I got my start in boilers. They wanted a plumber to install hydronic heating and I wanted to learn more. To make a long story short I made alot of good friends and it was difficult to leave. In fact since they taught me so much I felt somewhat obligated to stay but I really felt I had much more to offer the hydronic heating industry so I signed on at a very large company as the head of the boiler division. I must say that it has been a wonderful experience. The change has been good to me. It is hard but my guess is that you are feeling the change might be necessary. My advice is don't worry about moving... It's not that bad.

Comments

• David Sutton_3
    David Sutton_3 Member Posts: 160
    Options
    How do you know when its time ??

to move on ??. I have been with the same company for 15 yrs now. there have been promises made, and not many of them have come to pass. We have a service manager who i feel is one of the best men i have ever had the privalige to work with. The owners are very good pepole and i consider them my freinds as well.They have told me that i will be taking over part of his job, sizing up heating systems heat losses and figureing out the jobs,all of witch i do in a small way now, but things are slow to change, and he is 76 yrs old and has a job there as long as he wants it, and that means i have to wait, We have been waiting 5 yrs now , and i dont think i want to wait any longer, my pay rate has not changed much and the bonus was a joke, 15 yrs and i got 900.00 bucks and they took out taxes from that. I have helped make a lot of changes at the co. and moved them forward in seveal areas. I set up the computer so they can now take credit cards and such, and moved them into european boilers and some radiant heat, got us in to out door reset and a few other things.

I dont see myself moving forward anymore and have not done so for awhile. i have had alot of good offers but have been reluctant to move on, i dont know if its fear or if its out of repect for my employers. i am loyal. the thing too is that the two men who own the company are getting older and i am sure will be looking into getting out and if i wait to long i will never achive the goals i have set for myself.with this company, for i know the service manager will still be there,

every time i talk to the owners i get the same thing , you will get to do it BUT he has a job here as long as he wants it, then they toss me a few bones and then things go back to normal... i just dont know what to do....David
  • techheat_2
    techheat_2 Member Posts: 117
    Options
    It sounds

like you do know what you have to do
  • antman
    antman Member Posts: 182
    Options
    David

Sounds like a scenario I had a few years back, I worked for a firm for 11 years and always enjoyed my job, I learned a great deal from the guys I worked with, was comfortable, the pay was OK, but I was comfortable. I think that is what held me back, fear of change. I saw alot of people come and go, alot of changes in crews, always being told "stick it out, I'll take care of ya" blah, blah, blah, blah blah, Anyway after 11 years it started to take It's toll on the way I saw things which started to reflect on the amount of work I produced, Which was not like me. So after finally asking for a raise and other benfits only to be denied, I decided to leave. Know granted I don't know your situation, but I had no wife and kids. So after a couple of months of working for peopele here and there and doing my own work, I decided to go into busisness for myself. 7 yrs later I love what I do even more, I'm earning more $, and don't have to hear promises from anyone anymore, I control my own promises.

I'm sure you know what the right decision is, Just don't let certain things intimidate you, I'm sure your great at what you do., The fact that you look to educate yourself furhter in this industry, speaks for itself. I'm sure another company would love to employ you. Sometimes you have to take one step back in order to take two steps forward. Good luck on your decision, i'm sure it will be the right one.

Ant

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    Options
    loyalty

is an admirable trait and respectable. That being said, the FIRST person you need to be loyal to is yourself. Obviously you feel they are not as loyal to you as you are to them.

I have owned my own company since 1982. I have made choices between employees a few times. Your bosses seem to have made theirs.

Do what you think is best for YOU.
This discussion has been closed.