Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

no hartford loop and no equalizer

Options
I am a HO in Westchester county, just north of NYC. I am reading Dan Holohan's book "The Lost Art of Steam Heating" to become more familiar with my one-pipe steam system before making any changes.

I do not have a Hartford loop. The wet return just looks like it runs around the basement floor and into the Delco boiler. There is a low water cutoff installed near the tube which shows the water level. Could a Hartford loop somehow be built into the boiler? Is it not necessary? Should I be worried?

Also, the header runs right up to the main which circles the basement ceiling in two directions, with vents at each end and feeders up to each radiator. How can it work without an equalizer?

Did some of the "art" somehow never make it to my system?

Thanks,
Tim

Comments

• Alan R. Mercurio
    Alan R. Mercurio Member Posts: 588
    Options
    Here's a link

To an area of HeatingHelp.Com that may answer some or all of your questions regarding the Hartford Loop.

Hartford Loop

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio

Oil Tech Talk
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Tim, it is amazing what we see out there that is done wrong

but the people have been "getting" by with it for years. Since practically time immemorial, the Hartford Insurance company has mandated that a Hartford Loop be installed on all steam boilers. It is not there because the last installer was either lazy, oblivious or just didn't care. Have one installed before it gets too cold Mad dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Tim Gardner
    Tim Gardner Member Posts: 183
    Options

This web page and Holohan's book talk about check valves in systems prior to the Hartford loop. But I don't see a check valve either. No check valve, no Hartford loop, no equalizer.

From what I read it sounds like I should redo the piping. But the system does work, so it seems a bit drastic to cut into the main to install an equilizer.

Thanks,
    Tim
  • Tim Gardner
    Options

Holohan's book talks about check valves in systems prior to the Hartford loop. But I don't see a check valve either. No check valve, no Hartford loop, no equalizer.

From what I read it sounds like I should redo the piping. But the system does work, so it seems a bit drastic to cut into the main to install an equilizer. How about if I just add a Hartford loop to the wet return?

Thanks,
    Tim
  • Tim Gardner
    Options

Thanks for the reply. It would be pretty easy to just add an inverted U to the we return. Do I also need to add an equilizer if it works ok without one?

Thanks,
    Tim
  • Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    Options
    hartford loop missing

If you have a Delco boiler, it probably replaced the old original boiler in the house. Many old boilers had very large water chests and were coal burners, so the heat was slow and steady and worked just fine. Most likely the boiler was replaced without thought or knowledge on the part of the installer. We have lots of systems like this here and they work. If your returns are in good condition and totally visible and the low water cut-off is maintained religiouly, I would leave it alone. "If it works, don't fix it".
    The sole purpose of the Hartford loop is to keep water in the boiler in case one of the wet returns springs a leak and tries to drain the boiler. If you consider changing out the boiler, by all means, make sure a loop is installed and an equalizer installed per manufacturer's specs. Todays boilers have very little water content compared to their earlier cousins, and make steam a whole lot quicker and things can happen in a hurry.
    Our best advise to you is to hire a pro to look at and inspect your system. He will advise you on the right thing to do.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.