Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Said good-bye to an old friend today

Options
John R. Hall
John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
No, it wasn't a person -- it was my van. I was involved in a five-car accident yesterday. A young man, driving too fast in rush hour traffic, swerved out of his lane to avoid read-ending the car in front of him and smashed into my front passenger side. No one was hurt and all cars were driveable -- amazing considering the volume of traffic.

The most disappointing thing to me was when the insurance claims adjustor called and said they were going to total my van, since it would cost more to fix than it was worth. I fought it but they wouldn't budge.

I am the only owner of the '95 Aerostar with 123,000 miles, bought brand new when our 10-year-old son was almost 2 and our 8-year-old daughter was a few months old. It served us well through a lot of trips, hauling trailers, etc. It was by far the best vehicle I ever owned. I emptied it out this afternoon and had a hard time keeping a dry eye as I drove away. It's only metal and plastic -- but it really is much, much more.

I'm sure that everyone has a 95 Aerostar somewhere in their lives -- if you know what I mean.

Comments

• Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Sorry John, my 1989 GMC Vandura 3500, which I'm still driving

was stolen about 5 years ago, they got all my tools and my livilhood. It was gone for 3 days, we prayed very hard, and she surfaxced in Bed-Stuy (a real bad 'hood in Crooklyn). We were so happy to have "Big Red" (she used to be red) back. I know what you mean...part of the family. Sorry John. MD

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • David Sutton_3
    David Sutton_3 Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Yes, John i do understand !

yup it was a 72 ford maverick cool car
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Mail Truck

John,

I'm glad you're ok. My neighbor has made millions (literally) by buying those totaled cars from the insurance co's & selling them as is or for parts!

Mine was an old box style mail truck. A jeep frame & motor, but you could drive standing up & on the right side. One whole side was all glass with a roll up door, also had glass panes, in the rear. Top speed was 47 MPH & that was downhill! I had very long hair back then & was stopped frequently by the police thinking it had been stolen from the postal service (still had the original paint job). Accosted by a US postal inspector one day in Pittsburgh due to my girlfriend sitting on the engine compartment (a large flat interior surface) while reading her mail. He thought we were driving around in a stolen truck stealing people's mail! No accident, just plain worn down to the nubs.

My one like yours was a Datsun 610 station wagon. Ran like a dream till one night a tractor trailer ran a red light and broadsided me. He was doing 70+ miles per hour with a load of cattle & the impact blew out all the glass and literally ripped the tires off of that rascal. Bent it up like a bannana. Banged up, but I walked away after a short trip to the hospital. I'll never forget that huge headlight and the roar of his engine in the split second that I realized what was happening. If you've ever read the stories about out of body experiences and traveling towards a comforting light, you'll know what I experienced in the moments that followed. Truck driver was arrested & tossed in the pokey for a night. Found several of my tools and one speaker (a rear 6x9) more than 600 yards down the road the next day.

Getting the replacement involved a trip to Billings, Mont. & a very wild trip returning home with 28 mechanical break downs along the way - in short, a lemon. Best part? Sleeping in the car (because I had no more spare money) in the Mt. Rushmore parking lot. Always wanted to see that sight. The next morning, the mountain was fogged in & nothing to see. Called home from a public phone to let the parents know where I was & after hanging up, I headed out to the parking lot to leave. A woman flagged me down just as I was shifting into 1st gear - "Stop!". She'd overheard my call and dissapointment regarding not seeing the faces. "Come back, the fog's lifting." So I did & it did & that was a breathtaking moment I'll never forget as those four faces gently slipped from the curling morning mist to reveal the majesty of that mountain. If I hadn't been in that accident, that magical moment would never have happened, so that's the silver lining. I couldn't find the lady to thank her - she was lost in the gathering crowd or had left. But I'll never forget her kindness.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.