Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wetstock III (Coors Power Plant Tour)

Options
Paul Rohrs
Paul Rohrs Member Posts: 357
Plenty more pics, Midwest Energy Greg? I can post more soon.

PR

Comments

• Paul Rohrs
    Paul Rohrs Member Posts: 357
    Options
    $1.50 a lbs of sub-bituminous coal....

goes a long way.

First, a special thanks to Mark Eatherton for setting up the Power Plant tour at the Coors facility. I have been in Wyoming this week and have been unable to post until now. The pictures are listed in random order, but Paul Lessard and his Wife, Dan H and TLM, Mark E, Colin from South Dakota, Myself, Chris Rorke (a fascinating person), and someone will have to help me with the other names, had a great tour through the plant.

We started in a meeting room when our Plant Engineer, Dennis Capps explained the basic setup of the facility. This is a huge....(one more time for effect) huge place that is only maintained by a staff of 5. We moved into the boiler area where we were able to look into the firebox. See the picture of Dan looking in. It was a down-firing boiler and was amazing to see. It was an 800PSI main that fed the steam generator that produced all of the power and heat for the plant.

Chris Rorke wrote down most of the info, and maybe someone on the tour can help add the details. I recall 30-tons of coal an hour, fed by a 6ft diameter conveyer belt. Dennis Capps said the coal ranged from 2" to 14" diameter. The 8 semi's of waste are taken out every morning and hauled back to the site where the coal was extracted from.

Check out the ratings on the generator plate. Whew, 800psi is alot of pressure. The "Big as a Texans Belt Buckle" pic is in reference the the 2ft diameter wheel that you would need to crank off.

I would love to hear the commentary from the others on the tour. It was a memorable event.

PR

• Greg Swob
    Greg Swob Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Had a great time on the tour, but...

I was showing Sandy some of your pics and when she didn't see one with me in it, she was asking "were actually you there?"!! I guess I'll have to be listed as 'photo not available'.
    Pleasure meeting you and the others at WS-III.

Greg
  • Greg Swob
    Greg Swob Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Yes, I'm the MWE guy and was just kidding...

I don't need my face on the web - too much scary stuff out there already! Sandy was teasing me that I had no physical proof of the tour (except for the Trigen flow chart and a slight odor of beer). She had fun shopping and #2 daughter got her Homecoming dance dress at a mall so conveniently located near the Sheriton. Nice photos by the way. Really good visiting with you at WS-III.
  • Dave Palmer_3
    Dave Palmer_3 Member Posts: 388
    Options
    Paul

how old is that plant? 50's? looked cool
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Thanks Paul!

It was a memorable tour. Guess I'm going to have to put another one together for the people that missed the first one!

ME
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,529
    Options
    It was built in the late 60s.

Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.