Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new boiler/boilers for large mansion

Hey all, looking for input for this job of mine, trying to decide on 2 large atmospherics or ??? mid efficiency or condensing. 330,000 btuh heat load, Really wanted to go with Viessmann ECD 200s, just not enough out put. What do ya all think. Looked at the larger vitogas 50s, not a good fit as far as I'm concerned, price, turndown etc. Just want to poll all of you.

Comments

• Boilerpro_3
    Boilerpro_3 Member Posts: 1,231
    How \"bout using.....

A condensor for your baseload...typical midwinter heating day load..... and then a large atmospheric to pick up the last 10% of the year when you really need the extra btu's. This way you get a really quick payback on the condensing boiler investment, but only lose a little bit of overall seasonal efficiency because the less efficienct boiler sees little use.

Boilerpro
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    What's your

Source of radiation. Baseboard? Iron Rads? Infloor?

The water temp you need to run has everything to do with what boiler you install.
  • tim smith_2
    tim smith_2 Member Posts: 184
    Cast iron radiation.

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    I'd use

either 1 Viessmann staged Vitogas 100 (300K) is as small as the boilers come for staging OR (2) Vitogas 100-42 with a 4 way mixing valve and motor actuator, Vitotronic 200 and the lead lag control.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Zagman
    Zagman Member Posts: 2
    RE: new boiler or boilers for 15000sft mansion, input guy's

I've seen a really nice looking condensing boiler from Patterson-Kelley - MACH Series, comes in 300,000 and 450,000 btu. Efficiency up to 99%. Heard good things about their boiler products. You can check them out at www.pkboilers.com
  • tim smith_2
    new mansion boilers.

> either 1 Viessmann staged Vitogas 100 (300K) is

> as small as the boilers come for staging OR (2)

> Vitogas 100-42 with a 4 way mixing valve and

> motor actuator, Vitotronic 200 and the lead lag

> control.

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 104&Step=30"_To Learn More About This Contractor,

> Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A

> Contractor"_/A_

• tim smith_2
    new mansion boilers.

Thanks guy's for the input, I like the idea of a condensing boiler as lead with an atmospheric as lag. ??? maybe Vitodens largest one with a backup ECD 200. Piped primary secondary with Maybe a staging control for the boilers based upon od temp. Any input on this Idea, good or bad is welcome.
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    An aquaintance of mine

From Grand Rapids, Mi. used a pair of Vitodens and staged them by using a different curve on each boiler. (This was before Viessmann had a staging control for the Vito.) He had HUGE success with this setup and I have to think it would be even better now with the staging control. He told me that the highest water temp they saw last winter in the CI rads was about 137*. The rads were oversized for the actual load of the house due to updates in the construction of the home. (windows, doors, insulation). You might want to do a heat loss on the place. I'm betting that you'll find the radiation is oversized there too. If that's the case you can drop your water temps substantially and make good use of a condensing boiler. It's got to save some serious dough in a place that's 15,000 sq. ft.

If you need higher water temps, both of Paul's ideas would make them a great system. We routinely see 84-85%+ on the Vitogas 100's. A stainless chimney liner is a must have items with these because you will definitely get condensation in the flue.
  • Boilerpro_3
    Have you checked RayPak products...

They have very large condensors that utilize two seperate heat exhchangers as two seperate units. The Primary heat exchanger is about 84% and then adding the secondary (even at a later date) brings the efficiency up into the 90's.

Boilerpro
  • Boilerpro_3
    Condensor lead, noncondening lag

Here's a picture of one I did about 5 years ago. Used a tekmar 252. The newer 262 is much nicer. Since at lighter loads water temps are the lowest, he get lots of condensing and better efficiency with a condensor than standard iron.. When load is heavy, water temps are higher so you will get less condensing (or none, so a condensing boiler only would provided a minor efficiency boost over a noncondensing.

Boilerpro
This discussion has been closed.