Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

lampwick of steam pipe

This weekend will add a run-out line for a lo-pressure steam system. I have my threading dies ready, my pipe dope and recall I need lampwick. Is this process still a good piping practice? Are there any grades or thicknesses f
or steam and black iron pipe? Piping this weekend is 1 1/4
I recall working with Uncle Freddie, that he had a thinner versions of lampwick in his toolbox, however I never asked this question. He now is residing in heaven with the Dead men. All answers are appreciated.

Comments

• Fred Harwood
    Fred Harwood Member Posts: 261
    Lampwick

A good grade of pipe thread sealant usually suffices, if the treading and fit-up are good. A brand name I can't remember has a Virgin 100 or 101 that works well. Examine each threading, both the ones you make and the ones on ready nipples and els, for scoring, dings, etc. And be careful not to collapse or dent pipe as you assemble with the pipe wrenches. Too much force also can split fittings.
  • Fred Harwood
    Fred Harwood Member Posts: 261
    Lampwick

I forgot to add that with steam you must be very careful not to let treading oil or sealant oil get back to the boiler. It raises hell with boiling water. If you don't plan to clean the boiler, clean the new pipes as you go. You might still have to skim and clean anyway.
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    I still use lampwick

The thick stuff is actually called "ballwicK" and is used for making washers in waste connections. The thin stuff is actually lampwick , and I've heard it called "quickwick" too. Wick and some nice Rectorseal#5 or teflon paste, too. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.