Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

used PVC pipe ??

Options
hi guys, my two girls have worked hard all summer learning and caring for horses i told them if they did i would get them each a horse. well they did it. they took the lessons and worked part time at the local farm caring for the horses and have done very well. so i got them each a horse, now i need to put up a fence round my 3 acre field i was think of useing pvc pipe 2 or 3 inch to hold the elec tape fence. where would be a good place to buy used PVC pipe??? my wholesalers best price was $9.10 for a 20 footer for new pipe, i need a lot of pipe got any ideas let me know. THANK YOU for all your help

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

Can't say where to find quantities of used PVC that's not 1) full of s$(* 2) not cut to small lengths.

You might look for places in your area that sell building supply "seconds", fire buyouts, big box supplier changovers, etc. There are a number around me and I do frequent them for SOME things. I buy PVC pipe from one--BUT NOT FOR USE IN PLUMBING SYSTEMS. If you can't find one reasonably close, shipping would eat up any savings unless you're talking about many thousand feet.

If you do use plain PVC in an application exposed to the sun, you should paint it--be forewarned that getting paint to "stick" to PVC isn't the easiest thing in the world...

Why? Plain PVC DWV piping was NEVER intended to be exposed to large quantities of ultraviolet light. The UV in sunlight makes it brittle--and surprisingly quickly. Vinyl siding and other such products had some real "growing pains" because of this. The PVC fencing now quite popular is going to be the acid test of UV stabilizers--the latest stabilizers are supposed to be "perfect" if you believe the advertising. We'll find out in 15 years or so...

PVC used for electrical conduit (the grey stuff) is generally labeled as "UV Stabilized".
  • David Sutton_3
    David Sutton_3 Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Thanks Mike !!!!

Sounds great on the gray pvc i have to check with my electric surplyer thank again ...David
  • Dave Palmer_3
    Dave Palmer_3 Member Posts: 388
    Options

why not wooden posts or stakes to hold electric fence?
  • David Sutton_3
    Options
    just going for a better look :) ..nm

• kevin_5
    kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    Fiberglass?

Hey David I'm an old horse guy myself, and although I've never used the fancy electric ribbon fence you speak of, I've seen it and thought it came with about 3/4" fiberglass posts. I don't have a clue what the cost is or whether you've checked it out. I know horses like to get cut up if you give them a chance. The fencing you've chosen is supposed to be pretty nice, and easy to put up or down, but I'm sorry, I don't have any great post ideas for you or sources for cheap PVC Cheap might include the 3/8" to 1/2" round steel posts normally used for agricultural ecectric fence. You could put the plastic safety caps for rebar on top for protection. They might be a little shorter than you want, but I doubt the horses would bother it. I've never known any who liked to jump that well. Of course if you're in a dangerous area next to a highway or something, all bets are off. Kevin

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • David Sutton_3
    Options
    Thanks Kevin

likly i live in the contry closes house is 1/4 mile away...David
  • Don Walsh
    Don Walsh Member Posts: 131
    Options
    used pipe

David, I have several hundred feet of 3" PVC laying out back in the pipe yard. Can't reuse it on new work, your welcome to it if your anywhere close to NE Ohio. Most of it is in 9-12' sections. Don
  • David Sutton_3
    Options
    hi Don

well thats agreat offer but i live in southwick Mass.
    hmmmm

i wonder what shipping would cost :) thank you very much
  • Art Pittaway_2
    Art Pittaway_2 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Fencing

Horses get frisky now and then and in winter PVC will get be easy to break when it's cold. One good nudge and there gone. Think about it.
    Good luck, Art
This discussion has been closed.