Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ADDING A STAND BY ELECTRIC HWH

Options
JP
JP Member Posts: 8
I have a customer with a Lennox Complete Heat that has not been the most reliable. Customer wants to add an electric HWH as a stand-by in case the unit goes down(parts are not usually in stock and can take a day or two to get). House is on a well. My concern is that the water may stagnate in the HWH when not in use. I was thinking about using the elecric HWH as a storage tank and adding a small bronze pump to circulate between the two tanks. Unfortunatly when the house was built they did not have a recirculation loop installed. Has anyone tried it this way or any other ideas would be appreciated

JP

Comments

• Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Why not in series?

Why not just put it in series downstream from the complete heat? That way there's no stagnant water and is set up enough shouldn't run unless the complete heat is down. If you want to be really safe put in a normally closed bypass line from before the complete heat isolation inlet valve and the electric heater in case the CH tank leaked, you would need an isolation outlet valve on the CH as well.
This discussion has been closed.