Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gravity Hot Water Conversion to Circulation

Options
I have a gravity hot water system that we would like to convert to a circulation system. I have 2 2" pipes that come off a tee off the header of the boiler, which happens to be 2" also. According to the Golden Rule book, I take half the size of the header pipe, and then go down one pipe size..which if my calculations are correct that would be 3/4". My real question is that the radiation load is 137,000btuh's and if I size my boiler to that, and only make my header 3/4", won't the burner (oil) short cycle alot?

Comments

• John@Reliable_4
    John@Reliable_4 Member Posts: 101
    Options
    Are you sure about.............

radiation load is 137,000btu's? Must big a BIG house.New system would need by-pass piping and other controls to really enjoy the benifits. Would be wise for a pro to size and repipe Hope this helps
  • Aaron Clark
    Aaron Clark Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks but But that's what I do

but after talking to my rep from the supply house he has me thinking, although a myself and a great dead man, my old supply house rep, designed this back four years ago, just what my rep said to me is whats making me unsure, the boiler I am using is a Buderus G215/4, and thier Ecomatic R2107 outdoor reset control. The 215 has a by-pass type return system in it, otherwise I would use a by pass or even a mixing valve, but the radiation size is correct. Just questioning 3/4" with 137,000btuh's. --Thanks!
  • Boilerpro_3
    Boilerpro_3 Member Posts: 1,231
    Options
    What's your calculated heat loss?

You could be describing my own home! I had 900EDR of gravity hot water radiation in the house proper, with about another 100 in the garage. Depending whose numbers you use that is either 150,000 btu/hr or 180,000 btu/hr of radiation capacity. The current heat load is about 52,000 btu/hr. So I only need about a 75,000 input boiler and I have been running 90,000 for the past 3 winters. BE careful with that boiler size, radiation size only matters when trying to determine system operating temps or for steam boiler capacity (and even this isn't always true).

Boilerpro
  • circ pump on gravity system

Before installing a pump by sizing it according to a field formula you to figure out the head pressure the pump has to pump against.

Based on what you describe 1 would use a 1" B&G series 100 or equal pump. This pump will pump about 25 gpm at 8 feet of head. Typically a pump this size has been used in a house your size for more than 80 years.

jake
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Options
    keep in mind

that the reduced piping is very short. It would be very different if you replaced all the 2in with 3/4.

Mark
This discussion has been closed.