Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

out with the old

Options
not my idea,it was a one pipe steam with a small loop piped off a coil(nice in its day).People just had to have baseboard(talked myself blue not to put in warm air for the A/C).Got the owner to remove radiators and piping.Beautiful old Weil wrapped in tin with rock wool.Now 3 zones with HWM (thinking of you Ron, tight spaces).

Comments

• Yeah that does look tight

How was it taking that old pancake boiler out ? I couldn't open the other pic , could you change it to the JPG format ?
  • eleft_4
    eleft_4 Member Posts: 509
    Options
    jpeg

• Dave Palmer_3
    Dave Palmer_3 Member Posts: 388
    Options
    wasn't bad

except for the wool,it was 5 pieces,base had red brick in it,first time i saw that.Eleft changed the photo for me.
  • Dave Palmer_3
    Options
    thanks

new format for camera changed some formats,thanks Dave
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Hey Dave....

You just met the "yankee oldtimer". I used to see that stuff all the time. Luckily, the boilers gave out before the joint caught fire. One of my favorite things to do while replacing one of these beasts, was to look around for old "tags" in the general vicinity. Sometimes I found old coal reciepts tacked to a post, and occassionaly, I would find an oil slip from 1940...something. 230 gals of oil @.06 cents/gal, a whopping 13$ (of course, that was a week and a halfs pay then!

I even found reciepts for the stuff that my old company sold before they sold oil. Horsehair, for plaster, wood, lamp oil and even one for pumping a septic tank.

See, yankees never throw ANYTHING away. Hope things are well. Chris
  • Dave Palmer_3
    Options
    hey Chris

yea we look around to see past expenses,my grandfather was a iceman and we've found ice cards before.Catch any of Timmies classe's lately? Dave
  • Nice work Dave

Do you install Weil Mclain exclusively ? Do you know what the model number is if you want the 1 1/2 inch tapping in the front - to the right of the relief valve ? We use the Weil Gold 3L and pipe our supply out of that tapping and use the 1/2 inch tapping on the top for air elimination . I wonder if piping it this way will work just as well as using a Spirovent ?

Also , do you know the brand name of those purge drain valves ? I'm beginning to truly hate regular 1/2 drains that leak when they're brand new . And how hard would it be to take out the indirect ? We've been having our more than fair share of leakers - so many that I'm thinking of installing unions on every pipe connected to them .

Very nice improvement Dave . From an old pancake to striking Gold .
  • Dave Palmer_3
    Options
    hi Ron

yea we do Weils 95% of the time use dry base boilers if price is a problem.The HWM will just fit around lolly column and wall.(We call it the prison model)Use Carlins for ease of service and parts,quiet,clean.The first Golds we used when they first came out were front tappers then they went to the top model.We did like the first 6 in the state and piped them with the old expansion tanks off the top 1 1/2" port.I would fill the system then open the ball valve going to the tank. Worked sweet.I HATE leaking valves, we use those 1/4 turn valves alot.No more cheater caps on new stuff.I'll get the name for you,not that much more.Just be careful if kids are around.Dave
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Options
    I'd like to know

the brand of the purge valves, too. I like the way the "spout" is at a 45deg. The Legend version they handle around here is at a 90 and sprays out in a 360deg horizontal disk shape when first turned on :-(

Mark
  • Dave Palmer_3
    Options
    think

they are Quantums,I just looked on my manifold,no name but a big Q. I'll check the supply house tommorrow guys,Dave
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    Raven Sales

handles those ball valves...also Legend makes a quarter turn ball valve boiler drain. I got sick of the convention mansfield and nibcos leaking too. kpc
  • Dave Palmer_3
    Options

yea they are Quantums
This discussion has been closed.