Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Asbestos in Radiant Floor issues??

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
that may have been used to glue those tiles that will be the weak link.

The lower the temperature, the better, since you probably don't have data on the adhesive used.

Transfer plates will help considerably. What is the BTU/ sq. ft. load? That will determine the supply temperature needed.

hot rod
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Asbestos in Radiant Floor issues??

Hi everyone,

I had a guy ask me today if what appears to be asbestos-like kitchen flooring would have a negative impact on a new radiant staple-up heating system. Also, the old floor will be covered with a new layer ( yes, I know the R-value will be a factor). Thanks for any help,

Gary

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    I doubt that

heating the floor will cause problems, but the staple-up may.

We once did a retro job where the ceramic tiles in the kitchen area popped up when the tubing was stapled up.

It was a bad tile job, but you may want to shoot a few staples and watch what happens.

I REALLY doubt that you will have a problem, but better safe than sorry.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • GW
    the real concern

the real concern was the potential gases. The heat load is a non-issue (old radiator stays in room). Ther radiant can be stapled before any FF goes down.

Any isssues with asbestos emmisions?

Gary

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com

• Asbestos is a mineral--typically a fiber in manufactured products. It takes EXTREME heat to break it down--remember its common use in fire-resistant products.

Asbestos is released into the air when the matter surrounding it breaks down--either mechanically or from heat. The main measure for the "danger" of an asbestos product is its friability--a fancy word for crumble-ability.

Corrugated asbestos pipe insulation is HIGHLY friable. It is generally saturated with "extra-wet" water before removal to keep the asbestos contained in a gooey mass.

Floor tiles are highly un-friable. Since such tiles are generally pliable enough to be cut by shearing little asbestos is released in even this worst-case situation. If your heating system is producing enough heat to break down the tile portion--thus releasing the asbestos--the fire department is on the way!

I doubt that even the most corrupt trial lawyer could convince the most ignorant jury that an underfloor heating system is releasing asbestos from tiles...
  • GW
    Thanks

That was the answer I was looking for! You know your stuff!

gary

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com

• It's JUST an opinion. The "A" word is so crazy with liability that all I can do is express an OPINION based on research.

• GW
  • Some More Info

I did some more digging this morning and confirmed my OPINION above. Some floor tile mastic contains asbestos as well. My gut told me that since mastic is sticky and generally contains alphalt-like substances that it would be even less of a potential hazard than the tile.

The self-expressed "expert" opinions I found (generally from University hazardous material abatement departments) were in complete agreement--since mastic is by definition "sticky" it poses even less potential risk that non-friable floor tiles.

Many (most?) (all?) states do not regulate the remove of asbestos floor tile or asbestos mastic AS LONG AS THE REMOVAL METHOD keeps the materials non-friable. In other words, you don't sand off the mastic. Many (most?) (all?) states don't even require that such products be disposed of in an "approved" asbestos dump site.

Not surprisingly, heat is considered one of the best ways to remove asbestos tile and mastic as it tends to make both more pliable and even less friable.

From experience removing tiles with heat guns I can say that it takes quite a bit of heat to accomplish.

BUT in the vein, there ARE reports of aesthetic problems with radiant heat under tile/mastics of unknown origin. Discoloration and loosening of the tiles are both reported. For those reasons ALONE I would stay away from high-temperature heat sources directly attached to the sub-flooring. Even if the floor heating system does loosen the tiles and both the tiles and mastic contain asbestos any health risk (or liability concern) seems extraordinarily low.

Regarding the other asbestos product most likely to be encoutered by heating people--corrugated asbestos insulation--be VERY wary--not only for health but for liability.
This discussion has been closed.