Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Chemical treatment for radiator system

Options
Hello all.

I have a water rad heated home, and have removed ~6 gallons of water from the heating system. This was done in order to drain an upper rad which had no shut-offs, so I could remove it to do some work in the room.

When I bought the home, the previous owner did tell me that there was kerosene in the rad system, to prevent corrosion I believe. When I bleed the rads, and more recently when I partially drained the system, I do smell something which could be kerosene.

Now that I have the rad off and have drained ~6 gallons from the system, I was thinking to add more chemical back in before I hook up the rad again. I was planning on doing this by pouring some amount of some chemical into one of the pipes to which this rad was connected, before reconnecting it.

I have a few questions:

1. Someone on The Wall suggested kerosene was bad, and that propylene glycol was more widely used. I suspect that propylene glycol is used as an antifreeze, whereas I thought the kerosene was in there to help prevent corrosion. The home has two heating zones, one of which is forced air. The home is occupied year-round, and freezing is generally not an issue. Comments?

2. How much chemical (what concentration) should be in the system? If I've removed 6 gallons, how much chemical should I add back in?

3. If I add the chemical into one of the pipes for the (currently removed) radiator, is one (supply/return) preferred?

4. Which chemical to add?

5. We have hard water in the area, and I understand that this can actually cause problems with glycols, since it can reduce the effectiveness of the rust-inhibitor. I also have galvanized pipe for much of the heating system, which apparently reacts with glycol to form sludge.

Thanks for any advice you can share.

Rob.
This discussion has been closed.