Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

williamson oil furnaces?

they were great. Since Metzger bought them, quality way downhill and support poor. I would avoid the current stuff and get anything but!

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    williamson oil furnaces?

Hi guys,

Our Trane wholesaler sells williamson oil furnaces, I've only done a few oil furnaces in all my years. Now that we're doing sheet metal that number will go up. Are they good units? Compared to Thermopride?

One job we have sold requested a Riello. Easy set up?

Gary

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Williamson,

While working for an oil company, they were about the only units we put in.(10-15 per year, for 16 years) Very few problems and quality is as good or better than most on the market. Thermopride is a step above, but unless they've changed their method of sales, the only way to get them was to be a dealer for them. Go for it . You and your customers will be happy.
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Riellos are prteyy easy to set up Gary

IF>>>>>>and i know YOU will follow their specs. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    williamson furnaces

Metzger is out of business and Williamxon/ThermoFlo is now a division of Weil Mclain. Many improvements and good quality on the way. Williamsons were always a good unit and I have some real old ones in my customer list, still scorching along...try 'em, you'll like them.

• John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Five-in-one

Didn't Williamson manufacture a "5-in-1" furnace back in the 50s?
  • GAverill_2
    GAverill_2 Member Posts: 20
    Williamson 5-n-1

We sold these packaged units in the mid seventies-our contractors loved them as long as the homes basement had a walkout door. They were almost impossible with typical basement steps.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Hey John,

The last one I put in was in the mid- ninties!.The only complaint I heard from the customer was that the basement wasn't as warm as it used to be . Chris
  • B. Tice
    B. Tice Member Posts: 206
    I agree with Mr. Mills

I would stay away from Williamson. They have alot of issues. No way even on the same page as Thermopride.Before the purchase of the assets of the bankrupt Williamson Co. by Metzger in the mid nineties,the Willamson Tempomatic was an extremely popular furnace in my area.Most of them have failed with bad heat exchangers. A 12 year old Williamson is most likely cracked when you run into them. A very large oil co. here who sold Metzger/Thermoflo for years dropped them last year due to heat exchanger failures on new units.
  • John Mills_3
    John Mills_3 Member Posts: 221
    The infamous 5 in 1

My boss sold many of them. One thing to remember about Williamson, or any of these brands that have changed hands: they aren't the same product they once were. In the 50s & 60s, Janitrol was built like a tank. The Janitrol of the 80s & 90s is the cheapest thing on the market. Williamson WAS one of the best. What we've seen turned out since Metzger has had it is far from it. One poor sap has lost 2 heat exchangers on a Temp-o-matic, the first improperly welded at the factory. Between labor & freight, we probably ate near $1000 and Metzger (and later United Dominion) would do nothing beyond providing the heat exchangers.
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    I think

That the same company that makes HX's for Williamsom also makes them for Century. I had the same experience with one of them. January, -4* outside, 3 years old, local distributor said "We'll order you one" RIGHT!!!!! The company that makes the HX's was having "fabrication problems". Three week backorder IN THE MIDDLE OF JANUARY!!! I rigged up some temporary heat for them and installed a Thermopride two days later.

I always tell my customers that the best warranty is one you never need. That brings it all back to product and installation quality.
This discussion has been closed.