Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

training help

Options
Hi guys,
I am finally going to bite the bullet and hire an apprentice full time...I can get any bigger by myself. Any thoughts ,word of advice, tricks to training, things to watch out for. The guy is pretty green so I have a blank slate to wor with! tia... kpc

Comments

• Bud_14
    Bud_14 Member Posts: 200
    Options
    What Type of work

will you be teaching him...If he needs to know anything about sheet metal, send him our way. We'll help in that area, no problem.

Bud
    www.thesheetmetalshop.com
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    It will be ....

plumbing and hot water heating. I never was taught and therefore can't do any warm air systems. Thanks just the same.kpc
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sure

The most important things to learn first, are to be on time all of the time, be clean, and treat every customer like they are your mom's best friend.

Noel
  • David Sutton_3
    David Sutton_3 Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Teach him......

To allways remain teachable, as we grow in our trades we tend to think we know it all and are the coup de-gra of the trade. my frist boss , Mr Vinny Civita told me one day that just when you think you've learned it all it will change on you, if you allways remain teachable and open to new thoughts you will do well. man was he right,

remember he WILL learn 10% of what you tell him and 90% of what you do!!

work like you talk, teach as you go, and if you forget that hes a man as well as a apprentice the game is over.

Good luck and by him all of Dans books
  • Tundra
    Tundra Member Posts: 93
    Options

Consider sending him off to school. NEFI has a pretty decent program that is a month long, there are others out there. If not a school get him a decent book on theory and work with him yourself. If he only knows how to do things and not why you will be baby sitting him forever.
  • Send him my way

I will be glad to help the lad to improve his heating skills.

A good mix of formal training with On the Job and some practical experience will go a long way toward making him a good employee.

If I can be of any help let me know, I have lots of good material for a new recruit to learn from and it is all user friendly.
This discussion has been closed.