Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

basement zone

Options
Dan, the system is a hot water system, not steam. I'm confused as to how the info at your link (steam condensate hot water heating) applies to this situation. Thankx. --=--Ed.

Comments

• DIY Homeowner
    DIY Homeowner Member Posts: 48
    Options

I’m finishing a large portion of the basement of a ranch into a bathroom and family room and installing a new zone of heat. A heat loss calculation for the space indicated a design heat loss of approximately 7500 btu/hour.

Three new cast iron baseboard radiators (two 4-footers and one 6-footer) will be connected to the new zone. The pipes will be 3/4 inch copper piped in a loop. From the boiler the pipes will go up about 4 feet to the ceiling, run along the ceiling about 30 feet, drop down 7 feet to the first radiator (4-footer in bathroom), run close to the floor for about 6 feet to the second radiator (4-footer), then up 7 feet inside the wall to the ceiling for a 22 foot long run above the finished ceiling, then back down 7 feet inside the opposite wall to the last radiator (6-footer), then back up to the ceiling and the return to the boiler.

Do I need to install air bleeding valves at the high points between the boiler/first radiator, the second/third radiators, and the third radiaor/boiler? (Each radiator has its own bleeder valve) Or will the circulator move any entrained air to the auto-vent above the boiler?

I've attached a photo of the main floor zone piping I already moved up into the joist space to make room for the sheetrock ceiling. Thankx.
  • Dana
    Dana Member Posts: 126
    Options

Yes, as long as they are accesible, you should put auto air vents in and also drain setups at all the low points. Also coin air vents on each peice of baseboard so you can vent them propoerly.
  • DIY Homeowner
    DIY Homeowner Member Posts: 48
    Options

Thankx for the response Dana.

The plan is that the piping highpoint between the second and third radiators would be totally covered by drywall, and I'm not sure I want an auto vent concealed in that manner. The other two highpoints I could install the auto vents in the mechanical room near the boiler. Each radiator has a coin vent/bleeder valve.

Do I need low point drains, or do the disconnectable unions that attach the radiators to the piping serve this task?
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    You should read this:

CONDENSATE HOT WATER HEATING

Don't use ANY vents.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    My fault!

I misunderstood. Sorry about that.