Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kewanee steam boiler upgrade

clean, crisp, work Ron and Kenny. Well done!

Regards,
Robert

Comments

• This one the salesman though was cast iron

A new account to us , when we took off a peekaboo plate we saw a big steel sootbomb . Too big to fit through the door , so its gotta be cut out . The 2nd pic is part of the header - looks like the copper has been there for a while . I looked to see if the joints pulled apart , they all look intact , so far .....

Oh yeah , thats Kenny reading his favorite magazine .
  • We used the Peerless ECT

I was debating whether to use the 2 supply tappings on the boiler , but we really didn't have the room this time . The 2 split main pipes lined up pretty good for us . The steel return is clogged bad - it's gonna need to be replaced soon . We also couldn't get the 1 1/2 inch plug out for the skim pipe . I dont know who they're using to put them in , but they must have arms like a gorilla . We wound up using the 3/4 coil plate tapping in front , a good old standby method .
  • John@Reliable_4
    John@Reliable_4 Member Posts: 101
    Ron, looks like this job might spoil you!

full basement and it even has lights!John
  • That's awfully

pretty, Ron. You make it look so easy.

And that picture of Kenny made me chuckle; the first good chuckle I had all day.

Oprah Winfrey.....Kenny......steam boiler. Somehow, those three don't go together.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Shoehorn....

FINALLY ! A big basement . Good things come to those who wait.
    Nice picture of Kenny and Orca. I bet the guy who put the 11/2 plug was the same guy who worked the Burnham radiator line in June/July. I stripped the screw slot out trying to get the "upper plug" out for a bleeder valve. (the scar is still visible from tapping them again!).

Call in a plumber to snake that return, and find out NOW if your going to have to replace it . Better now than the middle of November when you HAVE to finish in a day . Chris
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    nice neat job ron and ken

how is ohhhfrahhhh doin these days still dieting of course...still shacking up with steafast.....ahhh some things never change mad dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Thats Kenny

always sticking his head or **** into the pics . I didnt see what he was reading till after - made me laugh too . Thanks Alan .
  • I wish they would ship

the boilers without plugs , so I can decide where I want them . Someone told me to try matching another plug upside down to fit the top into this flush plug like a socket , and that didnt work either . Oh well , they used a 3/4 skim tapping in the older version for decades , it wont hurt now .

I was going to tell the homeowner about the return line , but he wasn't home when we finished . This one isn't salvagable , its 1 1/4 black , reduced to around 3/4 with all the buildup . We have a few plumbers on hand for just these situations . They still fix leaking radiant pipes in Levitt houses also . Thanks Chris .
  • Funny thing about that

When I first went online back in 97 , I signed up Kenny's email address for the Oprah fan club . He was bombarded with everything Oprah . Thanks Matt
  • Yep , had it all

Except enough room to truck the boiler out . I was more than willing to leave that beast to the side . Just pulling a small plate on the jacket brought up a soot cyclone .
This discussion has been closed.