Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PVC Pipe for Pool heater ?

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
is done with that flexible PVC. It saves on glue joints, is easier to bury in crooked trenches, and is a little more forgiving should you have some ground movement. Skimmers and main drains are usually flexible PVC.

Most pool boiler manufactures include two stainless, or copper headers pipes for the boiler to make the pvc connection a foot of so away from the heater.

PVC in pool applications does seem to get brittle after a number of years and PVC threaded connections break easily.

Think I would spend a little more for schedule 80 fittings, if it were me.

hot rod
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• Patchogue Phil_14
    Patchogue Phil_14 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    PVC Pipe for Pool heater ?

I was at a friends backyard recently, and observed what he was working on. He ran some sch-40 PVC pipe below ground (18", Long Island location) from his house to out back to his swimming pool. He said he was going to use the PVC to connect his pool to a gas-fired pool heater.

Can PVC be used for that?

Patchogue Phil
  • bigugh_3
    bigugh_3 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    If he keeps it within the PVC

specifications why not! Insulating it would be good. big diameter enough to keep the pressure down as well as the temperture. Water entering the pool should never be over 110* F at any time. Oh and make room for expansion to happen without damage.
    Just MHO bigugh
  • Tom Anderson
    Tom Anderson Member Posts: 40
    Options

Have a 10 year old inground pool ... bought the house three years ago.... and almost all the existing pool piping is sked 40 PVC. Two short sections of copper pipe connect to the outside propane boiler. Many have told me copper in a pool application will degrade due to PH. But a pool's ph is usually at 7.5 ph, ranging from 7.2 to 7.8, so that would not bother copper. And chlorine is not used. Gets pretty cold here sometimes... -25 last winter, but no piping problems.

The problem I see with PVC is that the installation can so easily be butchered by pool installer people... not pro pipng installers. In my situation, the 90 degree PVC elbows are all miter type joints.... I hate to think about the added pressure drop, compared to smooth radious 90.... the water moves pretty quick through the pool pipe. An overheaded pump (at my operating cost penalty) allows it to still wok ok. And bull-head tee's, right at the pump inlet, of all places.
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
This discussion has been closed.