Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead-heading a circ pump

Options
JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
What happens to a circulating (centrifugal?) pump when it is dead-headed? Why?
Thanks for your help.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=290&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>
Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    I believe

Cavitation and over heating. The pump can actually build up preasure from the heat and steam and blow up.

In most situtations it burns out, but it can be dangerous.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Alan R. Mercurio Member Posts: 588
    Options

Why you should never dead-head a circulator

By our host Dan Holohan

Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

Oil Tech Talk
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Don't even

have to open that one, Alan. Thanks for the memory. It's a great story and lesson in one by the master.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Although it's not considered a good idea...

and I wouldn't recommend that any pump be dead headed for any extended period of time, I have come across a Taco 007 that had been dead headed for 2-1/2 winters, and it was just fine.

It's the BIG pumps that you have to worry about. When dead headed, you are pouring a SIGNIFICANT amount of energy into a small amount of water and super heating it. When the pressure is dropped, the water is no longer water, but becomes steam and occupies 1700 times more space than it used to when it was water.

I once saw the power head from a Grundfos circulator that had been blown through two sheet rock walls and embedded in a cinder block wall. It can happen, but it takes time and when talking about small circulators is not as critical.

Better safe than sorry just the same.

ME
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,190
    Options
    Why do you ask?

I have also seen, and provided the opportunity for :)deadheading small wet rotor circs.

They can take quite a beating with the discharge valve turned off! If both inlet and outlet iso's are turned off, you generally get minutes, not days!

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.