Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Prayers to those out of power

Options
Hope you are all OK and that the power comes on soon. Kinda scary.

Comments

• hydronicsmike
    hydronicsmike Member Posts: 855
    Options
    I'll second that motion

I hope they are back on soon.

Mike Miller

-not related :)
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    6:41 p.m.

and it appears things are starting to come back up.

Anyone remember the blackout of the 60's here on the East Coast? My memory is poor but I believe it was either 65 or 66 and it encompassed all of New England, New York and elsewhere. I was working at a supermarket at the time and with it being pre-terror threats, the atmosphere was much more relaxed. We were more concerned with saving the frozen food than being attacked.
  • Pat Clark
    Pat Clark Member Posts: 187
    Options
    60's blackout

Wasn't there an enormous increase in children born 9 months after that one??

Fuzzy memory from the 60's, but that's what I recall.

It appears it isn't terrorists, just an overload, hope everyone weathers thru OK.

Pat Clark
  • Jeff Lawrence_17
    Jeff Lawrence_17 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Time?

I saw this on another site.

It didn't take long.....

http://www.cafeshops.com/2003blackout

J
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

I sure hope most of you have your "juice" back.

Some show on History? Channel was devoted to the 60s blackout. Towards the end an electrical engineer was saying something along the lines of, "We think such can't occur again, but strange things can happen."

Doesn't it happen when a big surge in a heavily loaded system causes plants to go off-line to protect themselves from the surge, then when enough cut out due to the surge others have to disconnect themselves to prevent "crossing over" from the drastically increased demand?

The house of cards falls rapidly, but it has to be rebuilt piece-by-piece...
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    Long and warm and dark

was the entire night. Power was returned at 5:30 am in my neck of the woods on Long Island.

Spooky when you know that the outage is not just my house, or my block, or my town, or my county, or just limited to my state!!!!

One thing is for sure, many people looked up last night and saw stars without any light pollution from the ground effecting their vision.

Wonderfully quiet night.

Business is up and running!!

Dave H.
    Dave H
  • hydronicsmike
    hydronicsmike Member Posts: 855
    Options
    Wow.

I don't know whether this is good or bad. I think they could have waited a month or two. At least until evertything is back to 'normal'.
This discussion has been closed.