Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

one or two boilers?

Options
tim smith1
tim smith1 Member Posts: 26
Have a job that will have appx 3000sft of radiant floor and the other 5000ft has a combo of zones of either cast iron radiators or water to air units. I have an option of either 1 large boiler with multiple temp controllers or I can do 1 modulating condensing boiler for infloor and ?? maybe one higher temp boiler for rest of heat needs. I'm leaning towards two boiler. All input welcome and thanks in advance.
Tim

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,242
    Options
    It's nice to have

the redundancy of two boilers. They do break down! Spreading the load between two would also greatly lessen the potential for gas guzzeling short cycling, when multi zoning is used.

You might consider primary secondary with a tekmar stage control running the boilers. This control rotates, exercises, watches delta T, and a bunch of other nice features. Depending on your climate, one boiler may carry the lost most of the year, with the second boiler calling only on design days.

Plus you can generate gobs of DHW with two boilers in a PS arrangement.

Lots of options :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Steve Levine
    Steve Levine Member Posts: 106
    Options
    One or two boilers....

I wold not install two boilers as separate systems. Install them in modular or multiple boiler form. Deal with the dual water temperaure separately. When the loads are relatively low, only one boiler will op[erate, running at a high effeciency level due to long on cycles. When you need two, and only when you need two, will the second come on.

Additionaly, this will allow a reasonable amount of heat in ALL areas, even if one unit malfunctions. Pipes and or people will not freeze.

Steve Levine

Slant/Fin
  • tim smith1
    tim smith1 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    one or two boilers

Steve, The only reason for seperated loads is that the infloor will run at a very low temp creating a high efficiency on the mod boiler. The other areas need higher temps and I felt to get the most out of the boilers was to do it this way, What do you think?
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    I vote with

Steve, Tim. Perfect example of where two boilers together will make a great system. Go back and read HotRod's comments.
This discussion has been closed.