Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Health Problems

Options
John Jr
John Jr Member Posts: 210
> I had a customer ask me if it was true that <BR>
> people with radiant heat have leg problems <BR>
> because of this type of heat. Anyone hear <BR>
> anything of this? I know it can't be true. <BR>
<BR>

Comments

• JoeP
    JoeP Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Radiant Health Problems

I had a customer ask me if it was true that people with radiant heat have leg problems because of this type of heat. Anyone hear anything of this? I know it can't be true.
  • kevin_5
    kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    It's ludicrous

Yes, I have heard of unscrupulous or just plain ignorant people claiming all sorts of problems such as this, but none of them hold water. I can't remember where I read them. Hydronic Radiant is just the absolute cleanest, healthiest, quietest, most comfortable and (long term) cost effective system there is. PERIOD
    PS My wife may have some insight for you. She just walked in and said that radiant people could possibly have more tile than other people, and tile might possibly be a little harder to stand on all day than 3" plush carpet. But that wouldn't be a radiant issue. It could however explain the myth. Whaddya say guys? Kevin

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John Jr
    John Jr Member Posts: 210
    Options
    Doctors

Ask them why so many doctors recommed Radiant Heat. We have doctors and people from nursing homes call us because raidant is better for the older people it helps them with there lower bodies.
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Alan R. Mercurio Member Posts: 588
    Options
    Health and Happiness

Radiant heat also seems to be effective in helping your body ward off a variety of infectious diseases, including the flu. 2000 years ago the physician Paemendides said, "Let me induce fever and I will cure every disease." That may have been exaggerating, but fevers do help the body fight infections. Regular radiant heat produces a similar effect. When winter sets in and the nights get longer, we get less and less radiant heat from the sun. Many people get listless or even depressed. That's because a lack of radiant heat can result in reduced vitality and resistance, although that might also be caused by lack of light. Radiant heat in your home can provide relief from chronic fatigue by stimulating blood circulation, increasing your metabolism, and helping the body eliminate toxins more efficiently.

I found this information at the following web site.

http://www.alaskamasonryheat.com/tuli_radiant.shtml

There's more info there if you wish to check it out.

Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

Oil Tech Talk
  • John@WattsRadiant
    John@WattsRadiant Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Radiant in late 40's...

when everyone ran 180 Deg F water into slabs (might have 110 Deg F SURFACE TEMP) might have caused some problems. In fact, there are old-time journals that speak of people having problems with "swollen feet" and "athlete's foot." This might be where the mis-information came from.
    Obviously, we now design radiant floors so they don't get hotter than 85 Deg F, so we've eliminated these issues.
    Hope this helps,
    John
  • Aidan (UK)_2
    Aidan (UK)_2 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    In the UK...

most houses have 'wet' heating systems with boilers and radiators. There is virtually no domestic AC, so no necessity for ducted air systems. Radiant UFH systems are gradually creeping in.

Some 'budget' houses built in the '70s had furnace type heaters with ducted air heating. These have been, almost without exception, scrapped in favour of conventional retrofitted radiator central heating systems. There were many complaints about dust and allergies. The inertia of heating contractors to acquaint theselves with unfamiliar scorched air systems probably also had some role, but dust was the usual reason quoted.

You have to make your own choice.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Sounds like the sort of misinformation spread by forced air contractors around here. Whether done out of ignorance or deception it is still the same--misinformation.

There have been SO many "medical" devices that use the "curative" power of radiation (primarily infrared--the same thing coming from floors/panels/rads) and at MUCH higher level than from floors/panels/rads that the statement seems absolutely insane.

"Leg problems" are very often the result of poor blood circulation from obesity/chronic disease/old age. I cannot by any stretch of the imagination comprehend how low-level infrared radiation could exascerbate (much less cause or contribute to) the problem.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,242
    Options
    I have also heard

of health issues with excessive surface temperatures. Seems the Europeans, of course, have done studies on this. Some of the RPA members with ties to European manufactures have brought up this issue. They suggested a max of 80-82F, while I often see 85-86F as a high number in this country.

I know sweaty feet are uncomfortable, and I have heard that complaint from older (50-60's vintage)homes with 180 boiler supply and no mix controls. Probably the "low bidder" jobs :)

I'll bet Larry at the RPA could put his finger on that study, and the problem and symptoms associated with excessive surface temperatures.

I just got a nice radiant home job for an orthopedic doc. He said around age 55 folks start to complain of foot pain, often associated with hard floor surfaced homes. This came up when I suggested all hard (tile or hardwood) surfaces for his new home, with area rug treatment.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.