Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Piping?

Options
Dave_22
Dave_22 Member Posts: 232
Most of the radiant jobs i've seen are piped in the fashion of the drawing. What are the pluses or minuses of piping in this fashion? Would any of the flows affect other zones? Thanks.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,246
    Options
    This may

require the use of a condensing boiler, if your radiant temperatures fall below acceptable safe return temperatures, for extended periods.

A conventional boiler used for radiant would need a temperature mixer and a way to provider adequate boiler return temperatures.

Hard to answer your question without more data, specfically temperature requirments at the distribution, and equipment types.

That is a fairly common copper fin tube hw baseboard piping arrangement, however.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Dave_13
    Dave_13 Member Posts: 110
    Options

I there any trouble with ghost flows in an arrangement like this? Or should you just make sure to install flow checks?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,246
    Options
    Flow checks

Better yet get Grundfos 15-58 Super Brute circulators. In addition to a built in , quiet, flow check, they have 3 speed motors to help set the flow requirements.

A nice quick, clean installation with some isolation flanges, thrown in.

About the same price as the basic 15-42's. I believe Taco also has intergral check pumps, not sure about the 3 speed option however.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Dave_13
    Dave_13 Member Posts: 110
    Options

Thanks for the info! What is speed based on with a 3 speed pump? Does something drive it automatically?
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    You automatically set it...

unfortunately, Grundfos and Tekmar haven't sat down to discuss the potentials behind variable speed control functions. Eventually, the European variable speed pumps will make it across the the ocean. Until then, YOU have to set it, based on you calculations, or delta T in the field, which ever pickles your tink.

ME
This discussion has been closed.