Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sprinter vans

Options
joel_14
joel_14 Member Posts: 116
This is expounding on the e250 thread bellow.

Having grown up tinkering on anything with an engine buying work trucks has always been a gripe of mine. Primarilly because you where limited to the big 3. Having owned and driven numerous japanese and German nameplate vehicles over the years I've always found the big 3 extreemly frustrating. The lack of quality is astoundingly pathetic especially in the vans. Sure the old 300-6 was bullit proof but it had no power and they drink gas. The motors last on some, but the whole thing turns into a rattle trap. Something is always breaking, dash nobs/buttons. Sliding door parts, rebiulding front ends etc.
My personal e-250 complaint is not the motor (yet) but the brakes ours has ABS and has blown out 3 calipers and multiple rotors (on rear)of which ford only fixed it the first time. I'm not the only one with this issue the dealer says they get them all the time and ford knows it.Oh the steering box fell apart at 12k miles at least that was in warrantee.

We just got our first Frieghtliner/Mercedes Sprinter and the difference is unbelievable! Much tighter, less squeaks and rattles, tighter turning radias, bigger payload, better view, you cant stand up in it . The list goes on.
We've admired them in Europe for years and I've been waiting to get 1 for some time. With all it's versatility and 20-23MPG these are going to win big time. Just like with cars it will force the big 3 to step up to the plate and biuld something better. It is also very service friendly everything is easy to get at and maintenace like changing light bulbs or brake pads is a snap. Asuming it proves reliable we will slowly replace our entire fleet with these. Fedex and UPS has been buying most of what they can produce so they can be tough to get. Mercedes has a new plant under construction in the U.S. for this Van. when it's up they should be easier to get. Price is comparable to an e350 diesel but mileage is better and you can get way more in it.

Comments

• joel_14
    Options
    corection!

you CAN stand up in it ours is the 73" roof even the standard roof is 11" higher than a typical van. we got the 140 wheelbase a 158 and a shorty are available.
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    I've been interested

for a while now and have seen several local plumbers have them. How much is the E350 deisel, so I can compare? WW

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • joel_14
    Options
    e350

Our oil guy buddy payed 31k for his e350. Spinters run from around 28-34 depending on configuration and options there are 3 wheelbases and two roof hieghts for starters plus a myriad of other options. ours is 140"whlbse high roof, duall whl,5100lb load, cargo pac 1 , power pack, maintenace pack, mid grade seat pac, etc etc.
  • Murph'_4
    Murph'_4 Member Posts: 209
    Options
    i agree .....but

when checkin for my self the towing capacity is limited to about 5k lbs. takes it out of the picture for me!!

Murph'
  • joel_14
    Options
    towing?

what the heck do you tow?? With only two seats in a van you can't tow the familly camper or boat or anything.Unless you put the kids and dog back there with the tools ......hmmmmm maybe your on to something Murph!!! No ,wait, correction the dog can ride upfront the wife can go in the back with the kids...
  • Murph'_4
    Murph'_4 Member Posts: 209
    Options
    five kids......

never quiet around here!! if it is then ya need to look around, see what their up to !! (bulldozers) here is a link to freightliner vans, was here a year before getting the mopar lable , much better web site !!

http://www.daimlerchrysler-vans.com/index.html

try it out

Murph'
  • Glenn Harrison
    Glenn Harrison Member Posts: 405
    Options
    Those are cool...

I didn't realize those came in a passenger version. They are an interesting alternative for a passenger van for the 6 of us. I'll have to keep an eye on those.
This discussion has been closed.