Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best summer moment

Options
John R. Hall
John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
School starts up in less than three weeks here in Michigan. It's about this time that I ask myself, "Where has summer gone?" I also reflect on the good times with the family -- not just this summer but any summer. I'm curious as to some of the best summer memories by Wallies -- either a favorite place or event.

Mine are the times that we spent with the kids when they were younger, splashing in the waters of Little Glen Lake, which is about a stone's throw from the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park near Traverse City, in the northeastern portion of Michigan's Lower Peninnsula. The lake is very shallow for a couple of hundred feet with a sandy bottom and very clean water. The kids and I would spend hours just sitting in the water, collecting rocks and shells, and watching small schools of minnows swin by. My wife took a ton of pictures, especially of the kids in a unique tree by the water's edge. We picknicked there and enjoyed the spectacular views of the surrounding area. Ah yes, I wish I was there as I write this. I'll dig up a picture and attach it later on.

How about you?

Comments

• Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    Options
    summer vacation

Work....work....work. I, for one, hate summer vacations. Way too many tourists here in Maine, so I work. My wife and I take May vacations for NAOHSM convention and NEFI and take time in the fall for traveling and November for hunting, but we enjoy the time off and try to spend quality time together. Yes, she follows me to trade shows, as she's a big part of our business, but it usually costs me a trip to the Big Apple for a broadway show and shopping....We're heading out your way next year. Friends in Adrien area...going to try and catch an Indy car race at MIS and spend a day in that new Cabela's store in Dundee...makes LLBean look like a country general store!!!
    Have a great summer.
    Al

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Options
    as a kid

I remember playing baseball by the hour. It seems we would have a game going for days at a time. (Until we broke Mrs. Grady's window). I would leave the house at about 8am, home for lunch, back out to play, home for supper then out again until dark. We had tree forts, mud forts, and underground tunnels. Our neighbor had a 5 acre blueberry patch, and we would pick for 5 cents a pint, then spend it on Topps baseball cards at 10 cents a pack. We would throw away all the Yankees, and I swear, the would limit the number of Red Sox players just so we would buy more. We would even eat the stale pink gum, and chew it until we couldnt talk our jaws were so sore. Some nights, I would sit on my grandfathers lap, and watch the news. Tom Brokaw would read the "body counts" and I had no idea what he was talking about.

We would ride our bikes down to the ocean, with cloths pins holding some obscure memeber of the Seatle Pilots in the spokes, so we would sound like a motorcycles (we thought so anyhow) and swim for hours, we were navel heros, U-Boat comanders, pro sports players, John Wayne, the police, firefighters, and indians. All before noon.

I would think summer would never end. My family would do a two week vacation in the camper every summer. We got stuck in the traffic that was headed to Woodstock, my dad the reserve Army Captian, Mom the conservitive nurse, me with a "regular boys" haircut, and my sister with her nose in a Nancy Drew mystery. And 60,000 hippies. One summer we went to Washington, and we couldn't go into the Washington Memorial, because of an anti-war rally, and a bomb threat. The family vacations were great. We traveled the northeast from Washington DC to Nova Scotia.

I hadn't thought of many of these things in years, I sold my baseball cards, to get the money to buy Christmas presents my freshman year in college. The Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys still have a home in the bookcase in the upstairs hall of my parents home. The hippies are probally grand parents now. Hoping the grandkids dont find the photo albums. And the men who fought in Vietnam, are finally getting some of the respect they deserve so much.

Chuck Shaw

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    Today!

My daughter gets back from a year away from home. We'll be more than happy to see her.

• techheat_2
    techheat_2 Member Posts: 117
    Options
    I Too was

in the Woodstock Traffic jam on the way home to Queens from Cooperstown in Aug 1969. 2 or 3 weeks after the moon landing. A very memorable summer!
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Summer memories.....

Mom dragging me to the beach , day after day. Swimming lessons from Mr Moore.(an excuse for mom to have some ME time. I could swim before I could walk). Watching the "inner city" kids marvel at the ocean. I didn't quite understand what the big deal was !

For the last 20 or so years, it has been spending time with Dad and friends . Fishing is always a good way to pass a day. He doesn't like to go out on weekends because "there's too many nuts out there" . We always make the boat club fishing tournament, rain shine or FOG like we had this year.

I like to vacation in April/early May.(Central America, Mexico,and the Dominican Republic are all fine destinations at that time of the year, good fishing) Seems to give me a start to a summer. Going to Florida in January has always struck me as silly. Why go someplace warm, only to come back to the worst that winter has to offer ? Doen't it make sense to come back to things that are getting better ? Chris
  • D lux_2
    D lux_2 Member Posts: 230
    Options
    John did you make the trip up the dunes?

We just got back home wend.Might have seen you there ! All post my pic. The girl lost tooth didn't make a shrine for this one .

This discussion has been closed.