Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaving the industry - just wanted to say goodbye and thank you!

Options
After almost 4 years with Monitor I got an offer I could not refuse, in an entirely different business (helping people set up their estates so they can pass it on to their kids and avoid the expensive and time consuming probate process). I won't even get my hands dirty! It was a tough decision, Monitor has a great product line and they have been very, very good to me.

But, with a growing family and future college expenses in the future, I must do what's best in the long run.

I'll still be doing some moonlighting in the boiler biz, installing MZs and FCXs, and the odd radiant job, but only on the side.

As rewarding as it is to save people 30%+ on their heat bill, it's also nice to help people avoid making their lawyer one of their biggest beneficiaries unintentionally! Did you know that on a normally willed estate as modest as $100,000 that the attorney can get up $20,000 off the top! I can reduce it to $2,000. It's nice to deliver that kind of peace of mind.

I'll still be lurking on the Wall, and put my 2 cents in where I can. Dan, you've done something wonderful here with this forum, and we're all better for it. Some of the discussions can be so passionate yet respectful; some stories simply posted because the writer knows he's talking to friends and wants to share; others are requests for straight talk by homeowners who need to hear it from someone who's not trying to take their money.

Why can't the outside world be like this?

It just hit me - DAN HOLOHAN FOR PRESIDENT!!!!

Good luck to all in the future!

Matt Connolly,
Former Regional Sales Manager for Monitor Products, Inc.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,242
    Options
    sorry

to see you leaving Matt. The MZ is a great product & ours at the Lighthouse project continues to purr like a kitten. (A very quiet kitten!)

I've enjoyed getting to know you & wish you the best.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hydronicsmike
    hydronicsmike Member Posts: 855
    Options
    Sad to see you go...

...my friend. Was great meeting you and doing business together.

I wish you all the best of luck in your new ventures. Make sure you keep in touch! I am sure Pete is well aware of the loss.

Who knows, maybe sometime in the near future someone will start a "Bring back the Connolly" thread.

Mike
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    Options

Matt,

I'm sorry to hear you are leaving Monitor. You have helped me out many times over the last four years. I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavor. Stay in touch. -DF

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,543
    Options
    Don't be a stranger.

I wish you well, Matt. Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,242
    Options
    Thanks for your

input into this industry. You got us all thinking more about "sweating boilers" :)

Does this mean your installation video is destined to be a collectors item?

Good luck to you.

hot rod

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • kf_2
    kf_2 Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Matt

It has been a pleasure to have known you. You have certainly developed a good grasp on the heating industry in your short career, so I know you will be succesful in your new endeavor.

I will miss our interesting discussions on and off The Wall.

Good Luck Pal.

kf
  • Matt Connolly
    Matt Connolly Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Thanks, Guys..

Hot Rod - That installation video better not turn up on Ebay in 20 years!

Dan Foley - Thanks for all you've done for the MZ - when the fully modulating, variable speed primary circ model comes out you'll be in heaven!

Mike - the pleasure is all mine.

Dave - When are you going to put in your next MZ since the first one was so good?

Kevin - Thanks for challenging my grasp.

Dan Holohan - Have you picked a VP?

Scott - Have there been any more "shows" at the other Wetstocks?

Good Luck - Keep Dry!

Matt
  • munchkin-man
    munchkin-man Member Posts: 247
    Options
    Fairwell Matt, good luck in your new endeavor

• kevin_5
    kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    GO GETTEM!

Matt, I went through the whole estate thing a couple years ago with my late father in law. He was pretty much on top of things and prepared. It was ridiculous how much it cost to get things taken care of. And the attorney drug it out FOREVER. I wonder if he was "borrowing" our money for a while. I actually caught the secretary in a lie about having mailed the check.
    I can't imagine what it costs if they don't have all their T's crossed and I's dotted.
    You'll be doing a great service to mankind.Come back and tell us a story. I shall live vicariously through you. It will be better than Robin Hood and Batman rolled into one! Kevin
    P.S. And remember, it's not money that's the root of all kinds of evil, rather the LOVE of money. And that has nothing to do with how much of it you have, but rather how much it has you. People tend to misquote that,and you may have a chance to hear it more in your new line of work.

• John Cardone
    John Cardone Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Say It Ain't So,

Matt!
    I can't imagine MPI or the hydronics industry without you.
    Your input has been so insightful to me and the passion that you had for the trade was incomparable.

Hope that MPI figures out a way with trades and draft choices to get you back!

John
  • Phil_6
    Phil_6 Member Posts: 210
    Options
    wow...

...I'm going to miss having all that know how at my disposal. I wish you the best of luck in the world of "no heavy lifting" :-)

Phil
  • Riles_3
    Riles_3 Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Your commitment to customer service

is unequalled. Having had the extreme pleasure of working with you over the years, I am convinced you will succeed. Life is a "people business", when you excel at dealing with people, you can do anything. Always putting your customer's best interests first will continue to be a great attribute for you.

You are very gifted and Monitor will miss your contributions, at the same time they will continue to benefit from your dedication to Monitor and this trade.

I wish you the very best and insist you keep in touch. Please let me know if I can ever be of any assistance as you have done so much to assist me over the years.

We are losing one of the good guys.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Forever indebted, your friend,

Jeff "Riles" Riley
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,543
    Options
    Well said

Retired and loving it.
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Good luck

I learned about the MZ here and I'm sure you are one of the reasons it has prospered. However currently being the personal rep for my fathers estate ( a payback for my teenage years ) what your are going to do will help alot of people, feel free to give us some hints on the big do and don'ts. I have learned the hard way that anyone with an IRA or 401K who loses a spouse, my Mom in Dad's case, needs to change to named beneficiaries or the entire amount is taxed in ONE year instead of the 17 which it would have been in our case. The estate attorney we contacted before Dad passed didn't bother to tell me this little item. Perhaps a "Quick and Basic" estate planning could be written and offered in "books and more".
  • Matt Connolly
    Matt Connolly Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Thanks Again..

I guess you never know what people think of the job you're doing until it's time to go. Just because I'm leaving doesn't mean I'm no longer a Wethead. Keep my phone number handy, all you MZ & FCX guys. It's 610-758-9005 and even if it's a Sunday morning and you've got a no heat call this winter with a Monitor and can't figure it out give me a try. If I'm there, I'll do what i can.

Matt
This discussion has been closed.