Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hidden solar heating (reversed hydronic)

Options
I was thinking of using this for pool heating. The solar attic machine looks interesting but I'm not sure I want
all of that water hanging above my bed. I'm looking for
someone that's actually done a tile or slate patio with
piping to get an idea of how close to run the tubing and
what sort of control system was used. Is there any rule
of thumb on how much it costs per square foot to install
a hydronic heating system (minus the boiler and controls)?

Comments

• Stephen Miller
    Stephen Miller Member Posts: 2
    Options
    reversed hydronic

Has anyone here ever seen discussion of a "reverse
    hydronic" system that pulls heat out of a dark
    colored patio (in Southern California) to create
    a solar heating system that avoids the grotesque
    roof-top panels? Since we're building several
    hundred square feet of new patio and deck it
    occured to me that I might have an opportunity
    to build it in from the start at little extra
    cost. Thoughts would be appreciated.
  • john wood
    john wood Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Was just considering the same idea for a pool

Figured that pool deck gets rather warm in the sun so why not place tube in it and use heat to warm pool water! Kill two birds with one pex and give owner more options on finish of deck and colors too. Don't see why it would not work for domestic h2o or heating.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,190
    Options
    Why not!

another easy option would be a www.solarattic.com Cool the attic and reclaim the heat to your DHW.

Seems a clever hydronic/ plumber type could buid this from an hydronic unit heater, maybe a Modine. Just be sure to install a condensate pan!

Think I would use it to do the DHW preheat load. That seems to be an everyday load.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,190
    Options
    I have seen

this type of installation around here. In addition to the tube in the deck the installers wrapped the inground pool walls and floor.

Here in SW Missouri this would be mainly a "sesson extender" as a bigger concern is the pool getting uncomfortably warm in the heat of the summer, even without solar assist!

Pex tubing is fairly inexpensive, and the interface with the current pump could be fairly simple.

Maybe a combination of a clever plumber, and input from the local pool people would make this a easily do-able project. You may need to need to watch for overheating, depending on your climate.

Where are you located? You might find a willing contractor right here at the contractors button to the left.

I still feel solar DHW gives the biggest pay back as you generally need hot water every day of the year. If possible pipe your system in a way that excess could go to DHW tempering, via a simple indirect tank perhaps.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • joel_14
    joel_14 Member Posts: 116
    Options
    frosty world

Up here in New england I've heard of peopla running thier snowmelt system esentially "backwarsds" and using the energy to heat the pool. 600ftlong of driveway can crank out some pretty immpresive heat in the hot sun. Never done one myself though.
This discussion has been closed.